This week's updates to the Calendar of Events include: Matita Animated Film Festival: Thursday, September 27 - Sunday, September 30, 2001, Guardiagrele, Abruzzo Italy; 2nd Golden Bit, International Competition of 3D Virtual Images: Sunday, October 07, 2001, Cascina, Italy USA; The Toronto Digital Image Festival: Tuesday, October 23 - Thursday, October 25, 2001, Toronto, Ontario Canada; Les Rencontres 10/10 De Cinéma d'Animation: Thursday, February 28 - Monday, March 04, 2002, St Quay Portrieux, Cotes d'armor, Brittany France; and West Coast Student Film Festival: Friday, April 05 - Tues
Geographical Region: North America
* Tuesday, October 23 - Thursday, October 25, 2001. Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Entry Deadline: Friday, September 14, 2001
* The Art Of Animation Museum Display: Friday, August 17 - Saturday, October 13, 2001, St. George, Utah USA.
* Reg Hartt Presents: The Sex And Violence Cartoon Festival: Monday, September 10, 2001, Toronto, Ontario Canada.
* New York Animation Festival: Friday, September 14 - Thursday, September 20, 2001, New York City, New York USA.
* Don Bluth's ToonUp Animation Seminar: Saturday, October 27 - Sunday, October 28, 2001, San Francisco, California USA.Entry Deadline: Saturday, October 27, 2001
* Kids & Teens Interactive: Monday, October 29 - Tuesday, October 30, 2001, Los Angeles, California USA.
* Telluride IndieFest: Thursday, December 06 - Sunday, December 09, 2001, Telluride, Colorado USA.
Entry Deadline: Saturday, September 01, 2001
* Advertising Effectiveness: Thursday, December 13 - Friday, December 14, 2001, Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Warner Home Video and PBS KIDS Home Video are about to release the first two CAILLOU titles in the U.S. In CAILLOU'S FURRY FRIENDS, Caillou takes his cat Gilbert to the vet, receives some help from the fire department to get Gilbert out of a tree, brings home a stray puppy and befriends a seeing-eye dog. In CAILLOU THE EXPLORER, Caillou heads out to sea with Grandpa, rides the train, visits the farm and learns to use chopsticks with his friend Sarah. The Cinar-produced series has already sold more than 1.2 million videos in Canada since its launch in 1998.
This week's updates to the Calendar of Events include: Cartoon Network Online Animation Awards: Wednesday, August 01 - Friday, September 21, 2001, London, UK; The Don And Bill Show: Slightly Bent: Friday, August 31 - Sunday, September 02, 2001, Los Angeles, California USA; Advertising & Promoting To Kids: Monday, September 10 - Tuesday, September 11, 2001, New York, New York USA; Maximixing Media: Thursday, September 20 - Friday, September 21, 2001, Toronto, Ontario Canada; Festival du Cinéma International en Abitibi-Témiscamingue: Saturday, October 27 - Thursday, November 01, 20
* Women In Animation's Writers' Seminar Series: Thursday, October 11, 2001, Los Angeles, California USA.
* Festival du Cinéma International en Abitibi-Témiscamingue: Saturday, October 27 - Thursday, November 01, 2001, Rouyn-Noranda, Québec Canada.Entry Deadline: Saturday, September 01, 2001
The Festival du cinéma international en Abitibi-Témiscamingue is an international event presenting world's and north American's premieres. The six-day event features over 80 films from about 20 countries - shorts, features and animation films. There is no entry fee. Submitted films must be produced in 16 or 35 mm format.
* Animation Workout With Guest Director Julie Prendiville-Roux: Tuesday, October 02, 2001, Burbank, California USA.
* Animation Workout With Guest Director Cynthia McLean: Tuesday, October 16, 2001, Burbank, California USA.
The 45th San Francisco International Film Festival has put out a call for entries for its 2002 festival to run April 18 - May 2. Submissions are open to narrative features, documentaries, shorts, animation, experimental and television productions on film, video and digital media. The entry deadline is November 30, 2001.
Riding on the success of SHREK, DreamWorks' Jeffrey Katzenberg has announced that two CGI films will go into production simultaneously at PDI/DreamWorks. Three films are currently in pre-production, and once solidified, will go into production. The first project is TUSKER, which has been floating round the studio for years. The action-adventure story is set in Southeast Asia and will follow a herd of elephants.
The World Animation Celebration (WAC) took place August 7-12, 2001 in Hollywood, California with six days of film screenings, business conferences and career sessions, plus the marketplace. The awards ceremony was the first induction into the Animation Hall of Fame, honoring men and women whose contributions to the arts, business, education and entertainment of animation has been of the greatest value. The 2001 Hall Of Fame winners were animation legends Walt Disney, Chuck Jones and Windsor McCay.
* 2nd Annual Festival of Fantasy, Horror and Science Fiction: Friday, August 03 - Sunday, August 26, 2001, Los Angeles, California USA.
* Maximum Pictures: The Visionary Cinema of Ridley Scott: Friday, September 14 - Sunday, September 23, 2001, Los Angeles, California USA.
All films will be showing at the Egyptian Theater, 6712 Hollywood Blvd. in Los Angeles. Tickets are: $8 General; $7 Student/Senior; and $6 Members.
- Friday, September 14 at 7:30 pm: ALIEN, 1979. Discussion following with director Ridley Scott. Special ticket price: $10 General; $9 Student/Senior; and $8 Members.
- Saturday, September 15 at 7:30 pm: GLADIATOR, 2000.