EVA - stop motion short at festival

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
EVA - stop motion short at festival

hey - here's the link to our homemade stop motion short "Eva":
http://www.foursix.net/fs/
> go to PROJECTS
> click on EVA
"Eva" will play the Silver Lake Film Festival in Los Angeles, which happens from March 23rd - 31st. Go catch it there or download it. Happy about any feedback since Eva was a labour of love (S16mm, B&W, no budget, no framegrab, shot in living rooms, five years in the making). :eek:

well...

... if you wanna drag me down, at least make it intelligible! Doesn't work otherwise.

come into my arms!

hi laurence,
thanks for the reply - first one ever!! S16mm meant Super 16mm, sorta made redundant in Telecine since we will never go back to film for a print. I know the link is a bit tedious and takes forever but if you've seen it, what do you think?

martin

PS: by the way, what are you doing in Göttingen, Germany?

Stop what?

what's STFU stand for?

and...

... LOL? Lord of Laughter? Levity? Lycra?

Great short...and everyone gets to see the bare bones of a stopmo puppet!
I love the sounds through the film, they're really great!
I think if you had done it digitally, you could have done it like 1 year :D
Old school stopmo requieres a lot of time!
Bye

replies replies replies

:eek: never got replies so far so I'm nonplussed and eager to answer.
to L_Finston: no, do critique. More interested in serious and negative comments than positive baloney! EVA is too long and the storytelling-through-visuals is weak at times. That much we know - depending on ones mood, it's also extremely artsyfartsy, but so be it. Please don't hold back with your opinion.

Telecine: transfer from film negative to video (analog or digital)

Goettingen: I asked because I'm in Hamburg, currently working in Hannover, so my train rumbles through Goettingen daily. On a side note: "goet" means arse in Turkish, so Goettingen in Turkish would be Arsetown. My wife is... Turkish (haha), so that always cracks her up. She also animated Eva.

To AleStopMotion: thanks for the comments. When we started the film, we were complete animation-animateurs. No idea what an armature even was, we just 'build' a puppet :) Oh yeah, we also used real grass for the hill, which we watered every night, real bark on the tree and a real heavy-as-shit 9V battery. No philosphy behind that, we didn't know any better. Live and learn...
The five year production wasn't just because it was film, but a lot of stop-and-go based on time and money. Though film is definitely worth it, the only digital help during production would be a lunchbox or another framestorage of some sorts. Can't beat the look of film.

re. arsetown

in this sensitive world we live in, I wanted to make sure that no one thinks that I think someone living in Goettingen is automatically an 'arse'!

no wait...

... I got it. Must be Lord of Losers, no?

cheers,
zordon

You hit the nail right on the head martinqua!! :mad:

This guy's annoying the heck outta me!

Dang I wish I was a Mod. This guy would be gone in 2 seconds.

James :mad:

belated reply

hi laurence,

appreciate the detailed feedback, so I do my best to return info (without being able to use that "quote" function).
first off: the venue where people (might) see the film is not really important in this instance - wasn't planned for any venue, just a film and the link is simply a quick&cheap way to get it out there. But I can see how grainy Black&White in a low resolution file is a disservice. Send me your address and I mail you a DVD; Hamburg <> Goettingen shouldn't take too long.
Movement: your absolutely right - serving the content, anything from the slightest zoom to the fanciest, never-ending camera moves should be used. "Eva" was shot with shitty equipment AND without much experience in filmmaking/animation. Try camera moves when you shoot in your bedroom/livingroom with half a meter left between the set and the wall :)
and yes, I went to film school - a reputable one at that, which is good in some ways, utterly useless in others. The term filmmaker is silly, I work in TV, managing other people making animated TV shows of various qualities. But time & money permitting we obviously will make another animated short film, waywaywaay old-fashioned stop-motion animation!!
About your comment that the 'exterior' (length & format) doesn't matter: I agree with you. However, I rather see a shodily animated whatever with a great and interesting story, than 5 secs of fascinating animation. I'd see that too, but than it's nothing but an animator's showreel. I'm more for substance over style if it has to be one or the other. Ideally, it's both. But then again, when are circumstances ever ideal...

cheers,
martin

???????????

spit it out in real words!