Search form

Animation in the DC metro area?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Animation in the DC metro area?

Hey guys! I have a problem and I hope it can be solved with the help of everyone here. I want to get a summer internship but there dont seem to be any studios in the Maryland, Washington DC area that do animation. I know that isn't a big animation place like NY or CA, but it's hard to believe that there aren't any studios in my area that do advertising animation or something. I've checked aib.com, monster.com, careerbuilder.com, and yellowpages.com without any luck. My question for you guys is, do any of you know of any studios in the DC metro area that I could try to intern at?

MightyMew1's picture
"Animation isn't about how well you draw, but how much to believe." -Glen Keane

Well, whaddya know!

As it happens, I've started a small (seven person) animation studio in the D.C. area. Most of our members live around George Mason University in Fairfax.

Our site was hacked last week and we're still rebuilding final bits and pieces (particularly the forum), but you can see much of our content at http://www.other-space.com/.

If you're interested in joining us, e-mail me at me@other-space.com with "Otherspace" in the subject line, and we can talk.

Thanks Scattered...

Thanks S.L.

This is my 30th year in biz- so it spans a long period of time- you meet folks and do alot along the way.

I am sure there are lots of great stories out there...

Thanks Brent, I'll check out your stuff. :D

did you do a search in the jobs section of this site? there was a place in Baltimore, MD that was looking for help. they didn't require experience just that you pass a straight line test. I think it was for a couple of months also

I agree with you about the lack of studios over here. there may be some, but they're hiding.

good luck.

Yeah, I looked at aib.com. I found two places, one of which says "We are not hiring!" in big red letters on their employment page. I have e-mailed the other place (Tangerine Studios) and haven't gotten a response. The majority of the studios listed on aib.com for my area dont do any animation, I dont know why they're on the list...:confused:

I just looked through the list on VFXWorld and only found two places in Maryland. One does simulation stuff and the other....I went to their site and thought "you can't be serious". Here's a link to their site so you guys can see for yourselves.

http://www.grasshopperphilms.com/index2.html

Is that the one that says they want a storyboard of every shot and camera move in the script done inside a month?

Yeah, lol.

Oh D.C.

Hello.

Actually, I am from the D.C.area (Alexandria, VA) - started ASIFA Washington almost 23 years ago and was president, CEO and animation director for the Animation House, Inc. for years. We did everything in D.C. and a fair amount of work from New York.

I will ask some folks I know if they need help. A friend of mine from that area just finished a feature film - all by himself- so you never know. His next film is about a black woman pony express rider- true story.

I will check...

Thanks.

Nothing smells better than connections!

Honestly, Larry, the more I find out -- it's as if you're the Forrest Gump of animators...Next we'll find out your grandmother's maiden name was McCay...

An entire feature film by himself? I've only ever heard of that done twice before (legitimate, GOOD projects that is) by normal Joes... Where can we find out more information about it?

Thank you so much Larry! :D