Search form

HALP! OpenToonz Scanning Query

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
HALP! OpenToonz Scanning Query

Hey all,
I just got here (awn) and it looks big and scary (like animation! XD)--I plan on staying, but I found y'all in my quest for an answer. I'm working on a short animation (my first!) and am almost 2/3 done with the "cels" (do you even call them that when they're technically not on celluloid paper?); I've made a few key errors and am on a bit of a budget...I'll try to be more concise:
Strike 1: I'm making an object on small bristol cards (cut approx 2x3") to animate over multiple 2x3 cuts from a larger background (lazy "space" copic/watercolor)--
So here's my question:
(TL;DR!!):

Using Opentoonz (or perhaps some other free software?), how do I isolate the scans of this object from the white paper efficiently so I can manipulate it layered over the space background?

I've done cursory glossing over youtube vids for OpenToonz but haven't found anything that addresses it, somehow.. 

Haaaaalp! 
~ <3 ~
Nagourta~

Also, if I totally failed at putting this in the right forum thread mayhaps give me a quick rundown on navigating this place! Mmk, back to the (makeshift/jank-as-all-hell) lightbox for me.

Hey! No one got back to me,

Hey! No one got back to me, but I thought I'd leave the "solution" to my own problem in case anyone happens to search it in the forum (lol).

I couldn't find any way to isolate white (or a color) from a scan to ignore it in a layer.
So I settled on the "selection" tool. 
Opentoonz has one, which is great news, and a tutorial for that is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VCZT61wyDM

But with the missteps I've taken in method I may as well go ahead and sign up for Photoshop for this project, at least (their selection tool is a little more speed-friendly in terms of accuracy and I have mild experience with it [since I'm crunching myself for time on the project]).

Hope this helps someone someday!
Nag~

Thanks for posting the

Thanks for posting the solution, that is always helpful. Try experimenting with other programs too, never know what you will find in those free or low cost packages.

Indeed, I actually did

Indeed, I actually did further research on the subject (since Creative Cloud seems like such a bother) and decided to go with Digicel Studio, which has a scanning tool that allows you to select a degree of whiteness to become transparent in "overlay"--it does the job for you! Should save hours and hours. 
While I'm at it, they're having a crazy holiday sale over there right now, up to 80% off!
I've finished all drawing/painting and will begin with the program on the 27th, still hoping to have things finished up by the first week in January~