Search form

Advice on getting a job in animation

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Advice on getting a job in animation

As the thread title implies, I am hoping for some info/advice from the members of this forum - ideally from ones who actually already work in the business, but anyones knowledge would be appreciated.

I am writing as a 16 year old from England who is about to start college.

-Firstly, I would like to know if being in England would hinder my chances in
animation (considering that to work in the field, moving to the US would be a requirement). Would it be impossible for me to get to America?

-Secondly, how would being in college affect my chances?, I will only have time to train myself outside of college when not revising other subjects.

-Knowing that most animation is outsourced to Korea, how available are jobs as an animator in America?

-What is considered an entry-level job where I could progress to animator. In-betweener?, storyboarder?, what are the required qualifications?, would the fact that no animation colleges exist in England affect my chances?

-What do employers look for when hiring animators/in-betweeners/storyboarders?

Tbh

Well to tell you the truth I don't know much about the UK's animation industry, but I do know the US has some strugging animation programs still left in some "scattered parts".

BYU Provo(a university) provides an animation degree with 2D and 3D focuses(or so I heard from emailing them), and some film schools in California I've heard teach storyboarding and character design. Also there is a handful of Canadian art colleges that may or may not have an animation program.

For me I plan to just plan to get into a Japanese-language program and after that maybe head of to Japan since Japan is field with Animation schools, all seeping with 2D animation skills to learn.

Now if you are going for 3D, I suggest there are plenty of online college programs to help you contribute to it's overrated status IMO.

I hope this helped you out.

Animation writer who loves...Animation!