Search form

First gig

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
First gig

Hello AWN forums.

I just landed my first gig as a freelance animator last week, and, upon looking at the actual workload, I get the feeling that, compensation-wise, I got hosed.

I now have a second chance, since I've been asked to bid on another project. I don't want to make the same mistake twice, so I figured I'd ask some pros. What should I bid for six minutes of rather limited Flash character animation? I'd be starting with character designs and a voice track, and doing everything else myself.

Thanks.

How much do you think you should have gotten paid for the first job? Figure that out and then bid a bit higher than that amount. There is a huge range of pay. Anywhere from $600 -$2000 for 30-45 seconds a week. Be honest with yourself and charge what your time is worth.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Go Figure!

Hello.

I use to teach this class...as a part of my Portfolios classes...

First...figure out your "nut" - what is takes money-wise to live your normal lifestyle...your rent or mortgage, utilities, insurance, car payment, food... etc. Break it down into a weekly figure. If you want to "make" money add 15- 20 % or so...

Though EVERY project is different - the good news is that since you have already done a project you should have a yardstick on how fast you work- so....you should have a general idea of how long it will take you to finish.

You can't begin to bid on freelance projects unless you know your "nut".

Keep it fun!!!

First...figure out your "nut" - what is takes money-wise to live your normal lifestyle...your rent or mortgage, utilities, insurance, car payment, food... etc. Break it down into a weekly figure. If you want to "make" money add 15- 20 % or so...

That's what I did to begin with, but what I had predicted was an 8 week workload turned into at least twelve when my client decided to change the character design after three weeks of work. They say the wording in the contract allows them to do that, since it simply requires a "satisfactory" product.

Does this sort of thing happe often? Can I re-negotiate? Like I said, this is my first freelance gig, and I've never tackled the nickle-and-dime side of things before.

Bid the new project at 15% higher than the last one, by the way. It looks like I got it too.

Your contract should be specific about how many changes the client can ask for before you get to charge them more. Something as nebulous as a "satisfactory" result can keep you spinning your wheels for weeks or months, if you and the client don't see eye-to-eye.

this is something I should think about too now Im entering the same kind of work, I've pretty much only done work for free up to this point which Includes a music video for a band. I'm not worried about it being for free now though because Its going to be seen by two music video professionals soon. I heard the average pay for animators per hour was something like 17 pounds an hour so thats what I'll probably charge.

Totaling up the numbers that makes

17x 6(hours work per day) = 102

102 x 7 (days in a week) = 714

thats about 2865 per month....

yeah I'll probably charge less then that.

William Wright, its you! the hero of KVATCH!