Search form

Simulating Film Stock

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Simulating Film Stock

hi,

working on a film that will need to be transfered to Film Stock eventually. we are planning on doing a test to see how it will look on film stock and what it will need. but i am still some ways away with a few imperative shots still to be canned.

i was wondering if there was a way to simulate how it would look on celluloid without having to go on celluloid.

i know this is a longshot...

Hi SkinnyL,

I think that Adobe AfterEffects has a few filters that MIGHT simulate this...I'm not 100 percent sure though! I do know for certain that there are some third-party plug-ins that do this for standard digital video, though. Let me know how this works for animation:

http://www.ambervisual.com/

aadleplate,
i know of these filters, not sure if they will work (cant say why i think that)

All right, well, there's a demo of the third-party plug-in, nothing to lose by trying.

I honestly don't think this effort is worth the trouble. Film-look filters aren't terribly accurate (though they can give you interesting looks if that's all you're going for) and are notoriously SLLLLLOOOOOWWWW.

The only real way to really test it is to actually go out to film. There are transfer houses that will do short runs (under five minutes) for testing purposes for a few hundred bucks.

I honestly don't think this effort is worth the trouble. Film-look filters aren't terribly accurate (though they can give you interesting looks if that's all you're going for) and are notoriously SLLLLLOOOOOWWWW.

The only real way to really test it is to actually go out to film. There are transfer houses that will do short runs (under five minutes) for testing purposes for a few hundred bucks.

hey beeble, thats what i am going to do, its a lot cheaper here in India anyway. though i did want to try some nifty things out, which was part of the reason. but i guess we can always do that in post later.

Just a bit of technical advice: If you're doing a film out, do NOT apply any film-look filters or grainy effects to your video footage beforehand. Color correction is okay, but film look filters will hose your image. That includes de-interlacing your 60i footage. The transfer house should be able to give you some pointers, but right up front those will be things to keep in mind.