Search form

Best Pixar Film?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Best Pixar Film?

Hello All,
I have to write a persuasive speech for my speech class this weekend, and was going to be debating which Pixar film is the best. I know its all about opinion, but that's what a persuasive speech is. I'm focusing on elements of storytelling, animation or developments in effects. So, please, if you comment, give solid reasoning as to why you feel the way you do. I need qotes and ideas from all sides from good animators, and thought this would be the place to turn. And please don't comment on other peoples remarks, I want this to stay light and fun. No bashing! Let me know what you think. Thanks for your help!

-mole

OK...to clarify...I am trying to get opinions as to which major feature film release of Pixar's you think is the strongest and Why. I already have my opinions, I'm just looking for counter arguments you all may have or views on other films I may not have considered yet. I don't want you all to do my assignment for me as some have said, and I don't really want to consider the shorts. So the options are Toy Story (I or II...doesnt matter) A Bugs life, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc, or The Incredibles. Just tell me which film you all liked and why focusing on aspects of animation, storytelling or vfx. That's all I was asking. Hopefully this cleared some things up.

Let me know what you think.

I think that if this is your persuasive speech, then you should be focusing on what you think is the best Pixar film, and not waste your time soliciting other people's opinions. In other words, do your own homework. ;)

I also think it's silly to include films that haven't been released yet in the mix, as there's no way to say anything even remotely relevant about them.

Don't forget the dentist in Finding Nemo Scattered :D

For the Birds is one of my favorite animated PIXAR films. There's no dialouge so the whole short has to completely rely on character development and story telling. The amount of individual characters they were able to get out of all the little birds just by character is amazing. Think about it, one model and they get four distinct personalities out of it. If you watch closely, the first four birds all act and react differently to each other and to the big lanky bird, and they stay in character for the rest of the film. It's also a great study in prejudice and mob sociology.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

A different approach to doing a persuasive speech might be to pick a view you disagree with, or do not believe in. If you can persuade yourself to admit that you've got a good argument, then you can certainly persuade others.

That said, you should make "The Adventures of Andre and Wally B." the topic for your paper. :)

[SIZE=2]Have a Cup O' Jo! - [/SIZE]www.cupojo.net

I think that if this is your persuasive speech, then you should be focusing on what you think is the best Pixar film, and not waste your time soliciting other people's opinions. In other words, do your own homework. ;)

I also think it's silly to include films that haven't been released yet in the mix, as there's no way to say anything even remotely relevant about them.

I think you are right about Mole and I should have stopped seen that too. It is the speakers view of the topic, so if there is a need for stats, pole people at the local mall.

Since you talked about the dentist in "Finding Nemo".

Let's not forget Darla.
Also the patients in the waiting room.

When you said "best" being about opinions, I thought "Well set up criteria for what best means." And then you did. So it's not about opinions. It'd be interesting to see what you pick and choose, because being a persuasive speech it's got to have a clear focus. And getting both sides of many fences would have all those views negate each other, since they're all more or less valid authoritative sources. What have you got so far?

Round Table

So you wont to start a round table dialog. I think that maybe to need to find a way to cut down the list of Pixar titles or you might end up with nothing useable.

Feature films:

Toy Story (1995)
A Bug's Life (1998)
Toy Story 2 (1999) (Originally slated as a direct-to-video film, Disney concluded this film did not count towards the '5 picture' contract when it was released in theatres)
Monsters Inc. (2001)
Finding Nemo (2003, Academy Award winner 2004)
The Incredibles (2004, Academy Award winner 2005)
Cars (scheduled for release in June 2006)
Ratatouille (scheduled for release in 2006)
Ray Gun (rumored) (possible release in 2007)

Short films ("Shorts"):

The Adventures of AndrŽ and Wally B. (1984, Lucasfilm, prior to creation of Pixar)
Luxo Jr. (1986, became the source of today's Pixar logo)
Red's Dream (1987)
Tin Toy (1988, Academy Award winner 1988))
Knick knack (1989)
Geri's Game (1997, Academy Award winner 1997))
For the Birds (2000, Academy Award winner 2001)
Mike's New Car, (2002, based on characters in Monsters, Inc.)
Boundin' (2003)
Jack-Jack Attack, (2005, based on characters and situations from The Incredibles)

From the Wikipedia:

[I]Ray Gun is a planned animated feature for 2007. Though early reports suggested this would be a Pixar film, reports indicate that this will be a 2D film. Pixar has no interest in doing 2D animated films, understandably since they made their fortune in 3D animated films, such as Toy Story and Finding Nemo.

Warner Brothers currently owns the rights to the film. Brad Bird, director of Pixar's blockbuster The Incredibles is cast to direct the movie, though this information is subject to change.[/I]

As far as the titles to compare, I would say any of their recent feature films...so from Toy Story to the Incredibles. The short films are nice, but would lack much of the storytelling aspects and character development that the features have. The only response I've gotten from anyone was that they liked Monsters Inc. because of the originality of the story and that creative aspect.
Personally for me, I felt the Incredibles was the strongest as far as animation since it was the first to deal with full body Human animation on all the characters, and there are other specific points I cant get into fully here. As far as technically...the hair sim was amazing as was the clothes, and the underwater hair simulation is phenomenal in the fact that they can even do it. As far as story, the names and ideas of the story may have been cliche, but you also had development in different areas of the family. Mr. Incredible finding what's really important in life, the mother coming to a compromise with the family and kids...becoming even MORE flexible, Violet gaining the confidence she was lacking, Dash was finally able to apply his powers in an efficient, proper way, and even Mirage had a change of heart.
That's what I was going with thus far, so please, write back, comment, add to it. I need all I can get. Also, let me know some of your credentials if you write...ie animation student, industry veteran, etc. Thanks!

-mole

The family that owned the Toy Story toys + Sid + the collector and his restoration contractor in the sequel weren't human?

dude...scattered, are you going to add anything to my actual question or converstation or simply pose irrelevant questions? Contribute something. And yes, they were human, but not nearly as advanced or fully articulated as in the incredibles...they were'nt the main focus of the film, and comparatively, the incredibles are animated MUCH better.

-mole

"The Incredibles" is the best Pixar film because it was built on the advances all the others made. Pixar is the only studio that can truly say that all of its films are the best in the animation, sound, storyline, and all the other areas one could think of. Calling a film the best or the worst, when talking about Pixar's feature film list, is truly unbalance view of the media. Listening to the commentary's from both the animators and Writer/Director Brad Bird, Producer John Walker will give you a better understand of the evolution this film went through. The driving force of Brad Bird gave life to his idea, by challenges to the people who worked with him on "The Incredibles" to push themselves to new levels of excellents.