Search form

Selling a series... how?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Selling a series... how?

I just need a little heads up from some people in the field. I have recently tried, and failed, to sell a series to several Japanese animation companies. It is a 26 episode series of 24-26 minute episodes, with key concept and elements in place and a guide for the plot arc and subarcs over the course of the 26 episodes, as well as the first three episodes in spec format for an idea of the action, dialogue, and general style of the series.

The companies that I approached showed a favorable response to my proposal but were not in a financial position to attempt production, especially considering that they are Japanese and I am from Maine. The risk was simply too great, although the original concept was well received. I now want to approach companies in the U.S. about the series, which I am certain has great potential. Particularly, I am looking for companies interested in developing Japanese-style stories and animation but produced in English. I believe there is a great, untapped market for good, non-dubbed stories, as the style and more-mature content are greatly desired in the North American market, and yet there is little actually being produced here to fill that need. Imagine a domestically produced epic without the cheesy dub, or the marketability killing sub-title.

So, what now? What's my next move?

ProjectD's picture
EXT. HERB GARDEN - DAY "Fast and ready, lovely. Fast and ready." - BOYS MOTHER

EXT. HERB GARDEN - DAY

"Fast and ready, lovely. Fast and ready." - BOYS MOTHER

Good Call

Thanks for the decent responses -- I know I came to the right place.

EXT. HERB GARDEN - DAY

"Fast and ready, lovely. Fast and ready." - BOYS MOTHER

.The companies that I approached showed a favorable response to my proposal... So, what now? What's my next move?

First off, you may have given away your concept but you need to talk to a lawyer about that. I have not sold any thing, but it is my understanding that in the book publishiing world one need a literary agent. This is most likely true for television production. They have the connections and the reputation that will open doors and get projects green lighted.

I am guessing about this.

Hi Project D and welcome to the Forums. Thats great to hear that you have put that much effort into your project. If you want to pitch your show to US studios, I would say that Warner Bros or Sony would be your best bet, but pitch it to all the studios, you never know what they want. You also might want to look at a couple of French studios, Antefilms and Marathon who produce "Code Lyoko and Totally Spies respectively. Both have that sort of anime-ish feel too them. Also if you want to get an agent, take a look at "The Gotham Group" here in Los Angeles. They tend to represent quite a few animation properties. Good luck.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."