Search form

WIP - Character Model

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
WIP - Character Model

I've been working on a character model to beef up my modeling skills. This is the most complex model I have built as of yet. I am using a tutorial that was written for 3DS Max and adapting it's techniques and instructions for use with Lightwave.

To keep things simple, I will just post a picture of my current progress here. If you want to view pics of my progress as I went along (and a link to the tutorial I am working from), you can visit the new Works in Progress section of my online portfolio:

www.fulleranimation.com/WIP.htm

This is a picture of my current progress on the model (it changes when I update my site):

Let me know what you think. :D

alto1_MO's picture
Nathanael Fuller ---- Online Portfolio: www.fulleranimation.com Demo Reel: www.fulleranimation.com/video/Reel_Hi.mov

Nathanael Fuller
----
Online Portfolio: www.fulleranimation.com
Demo Reel: www.fulleranimation.com/video/Reel_Hi.mov

Here's a new render with the hair added:

Nathanael Fuller
----

Here's a close-up of one of the gloves:

Nathanael Fuller
----

one thing thats rather bother some is the proportions i am not sure what this is intended to be sued for but the upper body is way too small in my opinion or if you toaned down the size of the thighs it might balance it but its looks like you have half the making for a childs movie and half for an adult one...

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I haven't really worked on the full body of the model yet, I work on half and mirror it. I'm trying to get everything done before I worry about proportions too much. The model is stylized quite a bit, so it's not supposed to be exactly right, but I agree that it needs some attention.

Nathanael Fuller
----

Usually proportions are the first thing that should be worked out. If a character's proportions don't look right, no amount of extra stuff will make it look right. But that didn't really bother me too much, I just figured she young, around 15 or so. What I did think looked off were her hands. They aren't very femine hands. They are a bit to wide, from pinky to thumb. Also the palms look alittle short, from the wrist towards the fingers. Aside from that, I think she's looking pretty nice. Oh, just thought of another thing. Is she naked and just wearing armor and gloves? It's hard to tell since her face color is the same for everything. Just wondering. Good work.

Aloha,
The Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Is she naked with armor on? At this point, yes. I will use the exposed parts on the arms, knees, and torso to create a clothing look. I will also be modeling a loin cloth and a half-skirt thing.

Like I said before, I am using a tutorial and this is the most complex character I've ever made. I am using reference drawings that the tutorial provides, so the proportions are at least fairly close to them. The thing about the gloves that makes it weird is that the original body didn't have hands. The tutorial had me build the body first, and then the rest follows. I have to match the gloves quite a bit, so it still needs some work.

If you go to my works in progress page (the link in my first post), there is a link to the tutorial I am working from. If you go to the section on modeling the body and/or the face, you can find the reference pics that I'm using.

Nathanael Fuller
----

Yeah there is something slight with the proportions...maybe the shoulders aren't broad enough? Not saying she needs to be a linebacker, but just slightly out further. But other than that, I agree with everybody's comments.
Anywho, this is way better than any 3D work I could do...Although I have mastered a pool ball, and bowling pin!!

Great work Alto1

As you can see by the first post, I have done a bunch more work on this model. I think I'm finally finished with the modeling other than a few small tweaks here and there.

If you want to see several more pictures from throughout my progress on this character, view my Works in Progress webpage. :D

Nathanael Fuller
----