Search form

Query: Any web animators out there?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Query: Any web animators out there?

Every animation board that I go to seems to be following a trend. Even though many of us design with Flash, so often the end product is more suitable to tv or film; sizewize and ultimate formatting.

Am I the only one out there designing for web right now? As far as software there are so many ways to optimize delivery so that shorts stream and don't overload the end user with further downloads of codecs and plugins. So why don't I see it on the web?

If you design for the web join your voice to this discussion.

phacker's picture
Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

I've been webmastering and designing since the old days when there was no MICRO$~1 Internet Explorer, and it took me some time to actually accept Flash as a tool in my work. I still think it's not the Holy Grail, but we sure can make a lot of cool stuff with it, so let's rock :)

My company's website is all done in Flash. It's heavy, but our content is not directed to the general public, but more towards the multimedia geek, who has a broadband connection.

I'm still waiting for SVG to develop, but until there, Flash is OK for me!

I also love to use it for drawing, it's my favorite painting software.

I think what your noticing, Phacker, are several things.

WHen an individual hobbyist or pro learn Flash , they are just interested in getting it up and out. Just to realise something and have someone see it. The file size knowledge comes with experience. And then there's "convergeance". A broadcast show I'm not sure really care about the web as much as the broadcast. And an attitude of who cares about dial-up people. It's like color TV producers in the 60s probably didn't loose sleep over owners of B&W sets.

I know my stuff has gotten more optimal and "slicker" looking. Going form scanning a to importing and tracing Bitmps (which is a real bear) to vectorising to an .AI and importing (samller) to a better knowledge of symbols and drawing directly in the program (the most optimal...but for full animation that takes forever)

It's all about experience and education and what one wants to present.
I'm sure the web designers are carrying the optimise banner high. But it's about where one's priorities lay. Some traditional animation vet is not really concerned about optimal download/streaming just learning this thing called flash to tell her story.

I was asking originally "...am I the only one focussing on web development? " I guess I am. Always figured if Hollywood came calling then I could adapt my work to a more heavy format. Not the other way around which is what I see most often these days. I wait and wait for a 10mg file to download only to see some beginning effort...but it is formatted for easy tv conversion.

I always thought I'd capture some popular following through the internet first, because it's cheap, then worry about converting to video format, but what I put on the web is meant for web consumption.

Seems like current thinking is make every little thing video compatible first...don't worry about porting it to the web.

soooo glad the boards are back up!

I, too, design for the web (and standalone, but about the only change I make in that medium is using original music. and movie clips.) Although you see a 'trend', I'm inclined to agree with Graphiteman - that it's not a trend at all, or current thinking, but a different tool/technique for traditional animators.
The distinction is that I, for instance, began with the web, think in web terms, employ a visual vocabulary that's for the web - AND I'm acutely aware of the web audience. Actually, without sacrificing much in download time, I'm still able to incorporate LOADS of traditional animation techniques. (Haven't mastered them :)), but ... I'm slaving away).

I'm also a little puzzled at those huge flash movies posted on the Internet - but I figure we have different philosophies (mine, hard won after coming out of a 'lofty writing program' that - accidentally, I'm sure, taught us a kind of contempt for the audience. Like they were all nitwits. Well. That's useful for ... NOTHING). Short of it is, I'm a consumer of art, too, and I appreciate just a wee bit of accessibility.

Hey Phacker,

There are still a bunch of people that develop character animation for the web. There are studios like Noodle Soup, and Soup 2 Nutz, as well as competion web sites like WB's Cartoon Monsoon. Granted the file sizes are getting bigger than they were back in 1999, but I think that is due in part to web viewer's tastes becoming more sophisticated. Which is a good thing.

One of the best things about this is that TV studios are figuring out that they can use Flash for broadcast. The ironic thing about Flash to broadcast productions is that, we are finding that we are having to stream line things in the animation so the file size isn't too big. Not because of internet streaming, but because the files are getting so big, our computers can hardly process them!

Back to the main point though. Yes it is disapointing to go to a website to view a short, then have to wait for ever to see something that can easily be streamlined to under a meg.

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Under a meg....boy howdy some of the stuff I wait a half hour for could be put together in under 200k.