Search form

Question about Richard William's Animators Survival Kit and how to animate "walks" on eight,twelve and sixteen frames per second

1 post / 0 new
Question about Richard William's Animators Survival Kit and how to animate "walks" on eight,twelve and sixteen frames per second

Hi there,

I'm trying to follow Richard William's "Animators Survival Kit" at the moment and I'm at the part where he's teaching about animating walks on 8 frames,12 frames and 16 frames etc.

However I find it bit confusing that he labels walks this way as whenever he includes a visual example of animating a walk on 8s,12s or 16s he appears to include an extra frame in each example.

Here's a link to a diagram that he uses to describe animating on "8s" or "8 frames" : https://ibb.co/pzCsmQG
But you can clearly see that he is using 9 frames in this example yet labels it as animating on "8 frames". There is another diagram that follows this one that gives an example of animating a walk on "12s" or "12 frames" but he is using 13 frames in this example. There always seems to be an extra frame that he adds to the end whenever he provides a diagram of these kinds of things.

I'm just wondering why does he not refer to these examples as animating on "9 frames" and "13 frames" respectively?

Any helpful information would be appreciated.

Kind regards,