Search form

Best Software and Book for 3D Animation

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Best Software and Book for 3D Animation

I want to do an animation film. I don't know how to do it yet but I believe with the help of God, software and a book that would show me step-by-step what to do, I will do it. I would like to do 3D. I do a lot of things in Movie Maker, PowerPoint, Word, WordPerfect, and other programs, designing business cards, flyers, brochures, bookets, etc. but I love to make things move. In business schools many years ago, I touched on a few programming languages, but they were business programs that you would use in the business field. The course was so short and I don't remember anything. But I do remember I read a book in Basic on how to make a ball bounce.
I had started reading my Turbo C++, but I am not sure if it will take me where I want to go.
So if someone can help me out on what program to get, I would appreciate it. I am not afraid of hard work, I just need to understand it. And if the book and software takes me step-by-step. I will do it.
Thanks, God bless, Reje

If your hell bent on making your own 3D animation you must first choose a software package. The most widely used 3D application for Character Animation is Maya followed by XSI. Maya at the moment has more training material available than XSI. If your doing 3D animation all by yourself you have to learn alot of different skills like modeling, texturing & shading, rigging, and animation. I would also suggest is that you learn a composting program like AfterEffect, Fusion, Shake, or NUKE because trying to do everything inside the CG program and making it perfect is simply too tedious and time consuming. Lastly you will need a non-linear video editor. A Book I would strongly suggest is a book by Timothy Albee called "CGI Filmmaking: The Creation of Ghost Warrior", it can found real cheap on amazon and its talks about the ins and out of creating a solo 3D animation.

Trying to learn programming 3D Computer Graphics requires that you understand Calculus and Linear Algebra and topics like topics like clipping, global illumination, and of course the OpenGL API along with the ins and outs of C/C++ like Pointers, Classes, Functions, Data Structures, STL, and Algorithms.

Not to deter you but doing your own 3D animation is a large and daunting task for people who don't have prior animation experience. As I have stated before you have to learn a different skills like modeling, rigging, textures & shading, character animation, and composting. Another thing you also have to learn is the very art of animation like the 12 principles of animation. I book I would strongly suggest is the holey grail of animation books by Richard Williams, "The Animator's Survival Guide". There are countless other books I would recommend also but this is to get you started. Learning these principles in 2D is easier than in 3D unless your already given a rigged (and done right) model.

Software: TVPaint Pro, Harmony Standalone, Storyboard Pro, Maya, Modo, Arnold, V-Ray, Maxwell, NukeX, Hiero, Mari, RealFlow, Avid, Adobe CS6
Hardware: (2) HP Z820 Workstations + 144-core Linux Render Farm + Cintiq 24HD Touch

Reje,

Some thoughts on starting in 3D:

mlmiller is correct that Maya is the most popular 3D software currently. That changes from time to time though; in my career I've used Maya, Lightwave, 3D Studio (DOS), Max, Animation Master... Maya is one of the more complex packages, so starting there could be daunting, but if you want to give it a shot, go to Autodesk.com and download their free Personal Learning Edition. It's the same as the full-price version, but with a different file format and a watermark on the work you create. And there are other options as well, such as Blender, which is a free, open-source 3D package that is gaining in popularity.

As for books, it'll depend on what software you select. Maya has a plethora of good books on all aspects of the 3D process, as does Max, Lightwave... (you probably see where this is going). Once you select a package to work with, get back to us and we can make some book recommendations.

Regarding books on animation, I don't want to disagree with mlmiller, but I think Williams' book is too big a bite for someone just starting out. His book is based on the masterclass he used to do, so that should give you an idea of where it starts out :) For beginners, I like Preston Blair's "Cartoon Animation" (a classic), "Animation: The Mechanics of Motion" by Chris Webster, and Eric Goldberg's new book "Character Animation Crash Course." Goldberg's book is especially recommended because it includes a CD containing animated clips that you can play at speed, then step through a frame at a time to see what he's doing.

As for needing to model rig, etc before you animate, that's not entirely true. If you don't mind working with characters that are not your own, there are many free, fully-rigged characters available on the internet on sites like highend3d.com. Download a few, see which ones you like, and start playing with them.

animation

mlmiller1983

I appreciate your response. I know I have to start somewhere, my goal is 3D and I don't know the first about it. I am sure you will give me good advice.

I just want to start with making stick figures move such as sitting, running, jumping, walking, etc. God has already given me an idea of what the movie will be about.

I also have written short stories, poems, songs, I play keyboard and I am a singer. I don't say this to boast but God has given me many talents and I know what I want to do with this film. But I have to start somewhere and God could be using you to help me by giving me advice.

I appreciate whatever you can tell me to get me started on moving stick figures. All things are possible to them that believe. If it is God's will and He told me to do it, it will get done.

God bless, Reje

animations

DSB

I just replied to mlmiller 1983. I don't mind getting started with making stick figures that move all kinds of ways. I have downloaded some animations off the internet and made a 30 seconds commercial but the only thing was I had to use different characters for the parts. For instance if I wanted a man talking on the phone, I found it on freeware but if I wanted that same man running, I had to find another man running. So I would like to make characters that I can program to do what I want them to do.

I appreciate your response and any way that either one of you can help, it will be greatly appreciated.

I am off work today and I will keep checking my messages.

Just want to go with stick figures that move first and I know it will happen.

God bless, Reje