Search form

The Journal of Cartoon Over-analyzations

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Journal of Cartoon Over-analyzations

Thought I might as well get my plug out of the way:

About a decade ago, I started a web site, Cartoon Over-analyzations. People contribute articles about animated movies, shows, etc. -- everything from the literary (Mulan: A Modern Rescripting of the Classic Romance) to the sub-literate (My Little Pony is a Lesbian-Feminist Separatist Commune). In its heyday, it was fairly popular; people seemed to like it.

I ran out of free time, so I had to shut the site down about six years ago (much to the lament of some people around here, even).

Well, now I have time, so I've resurrected the site as a blog, and have started posting old articles and am hoping to get some new ones. So, I invite you to check it out:

www.cartoonoveranalyzations.com

Humans love to analyze things to death.
Where it becomes a problem is when analyzing things takes the place of doing something about it, or when the analysis serves no useful purpose.

I've been attempting to to separate your post into it's specific, constituent thoughts and elements. Examining each word critically to undertand the essence of what you were driving at.

After much analysis and a long night wrestling with it, I've decided I agree with you.

:cool:

Z
Z's picture

I think over-analyzing everything is really stupid....a lot of these cartoons are what they are on surface level. While cartoons with more complex subject matter imply it a bit more obviously through the storytelling....

This sort of reminds me of someone thinking that Spirited Away was a metaphor for child prostitution in Asia. You really have to look at a film from a very biased, and very particular way to come to that conclusion. It's a coming of age story. Sure, there's a bit of social commentary, but it has nothing to do with child prostitution. :rolleyes:

--Z

He's trying to be humorous Zachary. You can make anything into anything if you try hard enough. I can Bohemian Rhapsody is about an illegal immigrant boy who has tuberculosis and is being quarantined, as clearly every line supports this, like everything supports everything if you try. Number 23 bullshit.

Z
Z's picture

He's trying to be humorous Zachary. You can make anything into anything if you try hard enough. I can Bohemian Rhapsody is about an illegal immigrant boy who has tuberculosis and is being quarantined, as clearly every line supports this, like everything supports everything if you try. Number 23 bullshit.

>.<

I feel a bit embarrassed, because I only skimmed over these briefly. Although, there are some people who do over analyze to that degree, and are very serious about it. Such as this article on the videogame Portal. (Portal is a great game, but this article is very, very, very stupid)

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/f/portal-is-the-most-subversive-game-ever/a-20071207115329881080/g-2006071916221774024

--Z

Humans love to analyze things to death.
Where it becomes a problem is when analyzing things takes the place of doing something about it, or when the analysis serves no useful purpose.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Yeah, the site's completely (mostly) faux-serious tongue-in-cheek. Though, honestly, I prefer the more serious ones than the "look how wacky it is" ones. But, it seems like more people like the wacky ones.

And thinking Spirited Away is a metaphor for child prostitution in Asia is right up the site's alley. There's not a link for that discussion, is there?

Z
Z's picture

Yeah, the site's completely (mostly) faux-serious tongue-in-cheek. Though, honestly, I prefer the more serious ones than the "look how wacky it is" ones. But, it seems like more people like the wacky ones.

And thinking Spirited Away is a metaphor for child prostitution in Asia is right up the site's alley. There's not a link for that discussion, is there?

Actually, the guy who said that was a reviewer who somehow got on Rotten Tomatoes. (I was curious to see what people thought of The Castle of Cagliostro. I liked the film, but it's nowhere near the quality of Miyazaki's latter works)

http://filmfreakcentral.net/screenreviews/filmsofmiyazaki.htm#cagliostro

Anyway, he reviewed a bunch of Miyazaki films. (including Spirited Away, where he mentioned his interpretation)

And, slightly changing the topic, any person on this forum, that said that anime is cold, should definitely watch My Neighbor Totoro. I thought it was more cute and touching than any classic Disney movie...

--Z