Search form

Remote capture with Canon

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Remote capture with Canon

Hi, I've got a Canon Powershot A70 and a G4 Powerbook, which I'm using for stop-frame animation. I'm trying to set up remote capture software so I can drop frames straight into an animation.

The camera works perfectly with Remote Capture provided by canon, and the camera is recognised by istopmotion (camera test function says the camera is compatible) but there is no live feed, and it won't capture an image - 'capturing still image failed'.

This is the same with animaide - camera recognised but won't feed or take a photo. Framethief won't work either.

Has anyone got any ideas as to how i could fix this problem? My OS is up to date - am i missing some drivers or something?

Thanks in advance for any help - this is driving me crazy!
Tom

You might want to try Toki Line Test .

http://www.digital-salade.com/toki/english/tokilinetest.html

It's designed to shoot pencil drawings , but can be used to capture Stop Motion , too. (I've used it to shoot clay animation) . There's an Exposure Sheet so you can adjust the timing of images (say you want to pause and extra 8 frames on a certain pose , so it reads better.)

"EustaceScrubb" has left the building

Remote Capture is not designed to capture a live feed.

You may have some difficulty as many applications that capture live feeds are designed to work with video cameras. Final Cut Pro, for instance.

Look into BTVpro. I used that on a Stop Motion series. We did single frame. But the app. supports video. I don't know if I supports video from a still camera, however.

Part of this is due to the still camera's USB connection. This is not fast enough to support video.

hey guys, cheers for posting.

scrubb - thanks... i'll check that out. sounds like exactly what I'm looking for - i'm hoping to get into line drawing too so if it works...

richard - I'm not actually trying to capture the live feed (by the live feed i meant the viewfinder image), the live feed is just useful for positioning the camera before taking a still photo (sorry should have explained it better! :P)

yea i tried BTV pro but to no avail... is there an OS X version? the version i've got is on 9.x or something.