Search form

Capturing 2d software

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Capturing 2d software

What software produces the best results for capturing 2d animation with a dv camera via firewire along with ease of use? I am looking at ToonBoom, Digicel flipbook, moho, etc. or other. It will need to do color (unlike monkeyjam) and I most likely will not change anything except add sound (or my daughter will), at least with this short. I hope this is not a played out question. We are getting close to starting and I want to nail down the software as the stand is built (i will post pics and plans of the stand on its original thread).

Thanks,

Kelly

Flipbook is very Easy

Hello,

You may want to take a really good look at Flipbook- it is easy to learn and a wonderful program. I used it last year on a film I made and still use it on all my projects.

Thanks.

What software produces the best results for capturing 2d animation with a dv camera via firewire along with ease of use? I am looking at ToonBoom, Digicel flipbook, moho, etc. or other. It will need to do color (unlike monkeyjam) and I most likely will not change anything except add sound (or my daughter will), at least with this short. I hope this is not a played out question. We are getting close to starting and I want to nail down the software as the stand is built (i will post pics and plans of the stand on its original thread).

Thanks,

Kelly

Hmmm. I didn't realize Monkey Jam doesn't do color, really? I don't know for sure, it just sounds surprising. Is there a setting in it? It is marketed as a pencil test software, so perhaps color has been disabled.

Anyway, here's a couple of low cost alternatives:
-Use something like photoshop or any application that can capture still images. Save them as sequential files and load them in Quicktime Pro ($30) as an image sequence.
-If you have a Mac, Frame Thief is a pretty nice program (and it used to be pretty cheap).
-Stop Motion Pro is a little pricey but works very nicely.
-If you don't mind buying another camera, the logitech software suite that comes with their web cams (under $100) used to come with simple animation software, and can definitely capture still images (and then use Quicktime Pro)
-Premiere can capture stills from a camera and create a movie out of them, and then it's right where you want to edit it.
-Anasazi is a free (but slightly outdated) image capture animation software.

I'd recommend looking around at:
http://www.animateclay.com
http://www.stopmotionworks.com/stopmosoftwr.htm

And other stopmotion websites. They'll have a good list of stop motion animation capture programs that can do things like onion skinning (very helpful for stop motion/cutout work).

Producing solidily ok animation since 2001.
www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!
www.galaxy12.com/latenight

Perhaps check out Take5 at www.cellsoft.be

It's an 'animation recorder' that is used by several children's animation workshops in Belgium.
It even has 'motion detection' so they don't accidentally photograph their hands while capturing a frame.
It has 'onion skinning' and an xsheet interface for editing.

geertv

I think I was wrong about monkeyjam (or that I cannot read) it states in the features it states 'Capture in Color or Black and White.'

I have a pc. I dont mind spending a little money on the program, as I want to use it for myself as well, not only for what my daughter is doing. I have purchased 2 three hole pegbars and will use letter size paper. The main reason for building the stand is to do classic animation. I figured this would allow her move the paper cutouts along without my assistance. This information may have been more helpful sooner.

I also would like to know how to set up a scanner to do animation. Is there any special procedures and or settings when importing? Do you import and then color in whatever program you use?

With all this in mind, would you still recommend the same software?

Thanks,

Kelly

Capturing from cameras

Why not try the Tapptoons Animation Studio? It captures still images from scanners and USB or firewire connected video cameras.

www.tapptoons.co.uk