Search form

Can you do traditional 2D animation in Flash?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can you do traditional 2D animation in Flash?

I would think you'd be able to.. what do you guys think?

It's done all the time. Maybe not the optimum use of the tool, but people use it for that, sure.

Check out Pascal's work in the Show and Tell board.

Yes, 2d traditional can be accomplished in Flash. The first obstacle is how to input your lines naturally into the computer. If you have the money for a Wacom Cintiq, where you draw directly onscreen, then the process becomes a LOT easier. Ink and paint is a snap as well.

Flash can become unstable though, so be careful with your timelines. For camera effects and backgraound stuff like multiplane, it would be better to export that stuff into a compositor like After Effects.

It's also possible for natural lines not to be a problem at all. I've said it before; if I'm sketching something out the difference between what goes on the screen and what I'd get on, say, a placemat is indistinguishable.

Several tv series are done in Flash, 'Mucha Lucha', 'Atomic Betty' and 'Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends', to name a few. And it looks like more and more animation studios will be using Flash because it is gaining popularity and acceptance.

Blog

I'm sure I'll be corected on this, but I think Flash's basic strength is to allow you to seamlessly combine cell & cut-out techneques. Autotweening comes in handy too, but can be limited.

And I kinda like the way multiplane style perspective on flash is often a little off - perspective can be just one of the things the 2D animator destorts, stylises and exagerates.

Mike Futcher - www.yogyog.org

I would suggest using a program like toonboom which uses the same vector based technology but has more tools geared towards animation. You can always export to flash after as well.

Lindsey Keess
Animator

I asked this question in another theard but never got a responce.

I am working with Painter so if I am happy with this then I don't need Flash?
The demo showing how Flash works was interesing, but I think I can put my projects togeather and export it as a GIF.

Is Flash a GIF also?
From all the Flash posting I get the feeling that Flash is more like a program that the brower truns into an animation.

Actually Flash is a versatile tool, that allows you to export in many different formats including animated gif. I use it a lot for static vector work. Anything you can do with paper and pencil you can do with flash. And most of the things you can do with Adobe PS and Painter you can also do, but you have to know how to construct what you are after, no easy filters in Flash like there are in those two programs.

Animated gifs are sequentially rendered bitmaps whereas the published swf format is smaller, because they are vector renderings requiring less data to render, and totally scalable.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

If I make my project as a vetor using Illustrator, would the GIF optimizer give it same compression as tho it were made using Flash?

unless you are working for the web dont you have to map out a TGA sequence sync it with sound and then put it either on DVD or Digi tapes?

unless you are working for the web dont you have to map out a TGA sequence sync it with sound and then put it either on DVD or Digi tapes?

I have no idea, I forgot about sound. So what is the answer to my question and Skinny Lizard's.

are you looking for quality or price?

are you fine with a tablet or would you rather draw your frames on paper and scan them into your computer?

are you looking for quality or price?

are you fine with a tablet or would you rather draw your frames on paper and scan them into your computer?

I am doing both table and scanning. I have another question, I looked for a Flash 8 book to see the lib sync information. I could only find a book on Flash MX and I did not see anything on lib sync.