Search form

My Animation 1 reel (SCAD)

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
My Animation 1 reel (SCAD)

Here's the pencil tests I completed this quarter in Animation 1 at the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD.) I was hoping to post on here regularly during the quarter but it was a busy one...One of the shorts (flour sack) was selected for the dept's spring showcase. Don't worry if you can't play the audio (AAC), trust me, you're not missing anything - I'm an animation student, not sound design :)

Comments/critiques welcome and encouraged!

http://www.jprowland.com/forums/anim/jpr_anim1_reel.mov (8.25 MB, 2:04 min.)

A few notes...
1. Yes, I know balls don't gain energy as they bounce (I have a degree in engineering, I've studied thermodynamics.) The assignment was two balls, light and heavy, and ideally should be a cycle...I made a catapult for the heavy ball but I figured since the light ball would have more energy, it could have a personality enough to bounce itself back up...
2. The first 10 frames of the flag (30 total) are 1 cycle that loops, then I made a second 20 frame cycle that I stitched together and was a bit more ambitious in the drawing. Each looks good, though maybe not stitched together (trust me, it looked better in my head :) )
4. I never was happy with any of my walk cycles, I had numerous failed attempts and the last one was even extra after I turned in the assignment. I don't know why my run (5) looks so good, though it probably should have been done on 1s because of the skinny arms and legs.
7. Yes, I know anteaters have big, bushy tails - I saved that for last, so, of course, it never got done...

Looking forward to studying in Lacoste, France this fall with our own Larry Lauria!

As a bonus, here is my final project from Life drawing 1, a self-portrait (actual size a bit bigger than 18"x24"):

I don't know what the forum policy is on posting drawings of naked people ;) but I can post some more drawings if anyone likes...

Almost forgot, my meager attempt at a character design for class...

good stuff.
especially for animation 1 stuff
the roman character in your third post, and the animation of him running through water look great
I look forward to seeing more of your stuff
and have fun in Lacoste. I just had larry for my layout class, and learned a lot.