Search form

Free (and Legal) Fleischer Superman Online, c. 1942

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Free (and Legal) Fleischer Superman Online, c. 1942

"The Magnetic Telescope"

Amazing. Honestly, I feel kinda corny for admitting this, but I couldn't take my eyes off it. So very cool. As a warning, the site says it's 90MB, so dial-up folks would have to be a hardcore fan. I'd just about say it's worth it. High video quality too.

http://tesla.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/vidsamples/supman17.mpg

What I wouldn't give to see some of those shots in a theater. To me things like this are a part of what it means to be 'cinematic.' There's certainly some interesting direction, and I think in many ways its advanced for its time in a way a lot of people would tend to overlook given what was going on, or about to go on, in animation around that time period.

The only things I think are kind of silly is the exchange between the scientist and the policeman, because the timing is weird in their arm gestures, and Superman's brilliant first solution is almost unintentionally amusing, especially the way it's animated with that sound effect.

Enjoy!

You can find all of Fleishers Superman episodes (i think it's all anyway) in DVD quality at the Prelinger Archives, just search for superman or Fleisher.

Nice! I love to watch these old Supes toons. I bought a DVD called 'Classic Cartoons Vol. 1&2', and it has quite a few of these old Supes eps on it. 'Arctic Giant' and 'Mad Scientist' both have great facial expressions and action scenes that are just very fun to watch. :D