Search form

Brand new short, please critique!

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brand new short, please critique!

I am a young higschooler interested in animation and was wondering if I could get some critique on my newest short:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jtn1989/hiyaanimation/index.html

Spoooze!

Hey Spooze... the short is a bit too literal, and not much animation is happening, so overall it didn't add anything that I couldn't hear in the song.

I've watched many of your films, and the quality seems to be pretty consistent. I'd say do some more experimenting with the medium. Look at different styles of work and try to incorporate that into your stuff.

I think it's amazing that you have so much work to show at your age, and definitely more stuff than I had. It looks like you've put an amazing amount of effort into the creation and execution of all of them, and it looks like you have the patience for it, so I'd say branch out and try to further your art.

Do some more drawing and get into some life drawing classes, and if you want to be an animator, pick up some animation books and do the exercises from them and learn how to move the characters. Like why did you have a still frame of the priest with his hands dirty? Why not have him wiping them off?

Hey Spooze... the short is a bit too literal, and not much animation is happening, so overall it didn't add anything that I couldn't hear in the song.

I've watched many of your films, and the quality seems to be pretty consistent. I'd say do some more experimenting with the medium. Look at different styles of work and try to incorporate that into your stuff.

I think it's amazing that you have so much work to show at your age, and definitely more stuff than I had. It looks like you've put an amazing amount of effort into the creation and execution of all of them, and it looks like you have the patience for it, so I'd say branch out and try to further your art.

Do some more drawing and get into some life drawing classes, and if you want to be an animator, pick up some animation books and do the exercises from them and learn how to move the characters. Like why did you have a still frame of the priest with his hands dirty? Why not have him wiping them off?

Thanks for the comments :D Your the first one really to comment on any of my work.

Ya, I kinda knew on this one that I didn't put much animation into it and I kinda knew I would get this kinda critique. I'm gonna try and put a lot more animation into my next one.

I kinda ment it to be literal this time since this one is a bit more serious than any of my other shorts. But "Monster Mash" if you've seen it I agree really needs some unliterallizing. I look back on that one and think to myself "this is waaaayyy too literal". But I can tell you my next "Fun Song" one will be not so serious as "Rigby" and it will get me a chance to add a lot more gags and funny stuff to it. But this one may not come for quite a while because I am working on a "documentary" for my site showing how animation is done (this is mostly for some people on another forum and some friends of mine but you are welcome to view it when it's finished). But I am adding several shorts to demonstrate the stuff so it will be a perfect chance to try out some new stuff.

I really agree with you that this one could've had a lot more animation in it and not so many still frames. This is another thing I will try and improve on a lot.

I'm going to try and get into some drawing or painting classes pretty soon I hope and maybe improve my real life drawing and maybe have a chance of getting into a good animation school.

Thank you for your critique :D I'll try and improve :D

Spoooze!

This is totally off topic, but David B -- your answer was very articulate.

Spoooze!, I have been around a lot of people at your current level, and to sort of reiterate, the thing to keep in mind is the distinction between motion and animation. Animation as a whole, in the context of this site and these forum discussions, also carries some abstraction with it. Just because something moves does not make it animated. Might be the dictionary's take on it, but there are certain ways to guide the ways in which you move and draw in order to make them more full of life and more meaningful in communicating message visually. Like David suggested, education whether formal or just by reading, is one of the best ways to improve your abilities, so long as you put that information to use and experimentation. Learning all that information doesn't get you in the door anywhere, nor does it even give you all that much respect or praise. But being able to master the art and the craft is the thing that makes you valuable as all hell wherever you do wind up, even if you have to just relegate animation in your life to a passion or hobby whilst you're presently doing something else.

Good luck, you've got a terrific sense of humor.