Search form

Should I even bother to go back to school

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Should I even bother to go back to school

I Would like to be an animator (Particularly with visual Effects) and I have been reading some disturbing things about outsourcing and that the industry isn't doing so well. A couple of years ago I went to an expensive art school and I had to drop out, now I am paying a student loan back and I am wondering whether or not to go back. I don't want to waste anymore money so my big question is should I try to go back to school or should I just pursue animation as a hobby and give up on my dream on this being a career?

Well, its a scary industry to try to get into and striving to be a part of it is more about passion than anything. If you think you'll be wasting money doing something, then I would say its probably not the time to invest in more education. If you're going to be sitting in every class wondering to yourself if all of this is really worth the money, then you're just short-changing your own experience.

Just dropping my two cents in the bank,

Ender

my own experience is that though education is almost always worth the money for reasons beyond emoployment, it shouldn't be confused with what it takes to get a job. often there are overlapping networking possibilities, but a good approach might be to do both at the same time. look for a job while taking classes. the education might have a longer lasting payoff, but the job search is way harder work.

there's my 2 cents.

phil

Hello Uncle Phil...

Welcome to the forums...

Bottom line - if animation would be just a job or a way to make money - then you should try something else.

If you REALLY love it and it's your dream than go for it!