The next chapter in Mattel’s storied franchise finds Barbie embarking on a musical summer adventure in the Big Apple, where she meets her new best friend, Barbie!; coming to Netflix in September.
Mattel has announced the next chapter in their storied Barbie movie franchise, Barbie: Big City, Big Dreams, premiering in September on Netflix in the U.S. and with global streaming and linear television partners to be announced later.
This new 3D animated musical adventure follows Barbie Roberts as she says goodbye to the familiar beaches of Malibu and says hello to the hustle and bustle of New York City’s Times Square. After enrolling in a prestigious and highly competitive summer program at the Handler School for Performing Arts, upon arrival, she meets a fellow student named… Barbie Roberts! That’s right; Barbie meets Barbie and, while they have much more in common than just their names – like their shared dream of making it on Broadway – the two girls really bond over their complementary differences. As the two Barbies compete for the program’s coveted, once-in-a-lifetime Spotlight Solo, the new friends discover that competition isn't only about winning: it's about striving to be your best while bringing out the best in your competitors.
Check out the new Barbie Big City, Big Dreams! teaser:
Joining the two Barbies on their big adventure are:
- Emmie – Sweet, shy, and completely humble, Emmie is the high-voltage popstar you wouldn’t expect.
- Rafa – An aspiring costume designer and self-proclaimed fashionista, Rafa quickly becomes BFF with both Barbies.
Stage-Worthy Music and Choreography:
- Original music by Emmy Award nominee Alison McDonald (Roots, An American Girl Story: Love Has to Win, Friends for Life) and songwriter and music producer Matthew Tishler (High School Musical: The Musical - The Series and Descendants 3).
- Choreographed by Jamal Simms (Aladdin, Step Up All In).
A Fresh Location in New York City
- Both Barbies turn the city into their very own playground, exploring all it has to offer from Central Park to Times Square and everything in between!
Check out Barbie’s vlog:
To complement this new musical event, Mattel will introduce a line of dolls, playsets, and accessories, also launching this fall.
Barbie: Big City, Big Dreams is directed by Scott Pleydell-Pearce (Bob the Builder, Blaze and the Monster Machines) and written by Mattel Senior VP, Creative, Christopher Keenan and screenwriter Kate Splaine. Keenan also serves as executive producer along with Senior VP and GM, Mattel Television Fred Soulie and Adam Bonnett. The film is produced by Ron Myrick (Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?, Loonatics Unleashed).
Animation services are being provided by Mainframe Studios.
Source: Mattel Television