Kirk DeMicco, Phil Lord and Chris Miller, Tim Miller, and Everett Downing Jr. join growing list of industry leaders and experts who will lead a variety of sessions at Italy’s premiere animation, VFX and CG conference, taking place online and in-person October 17-22; early bird tickets are now on sale.
VIEW Conference 2021 is taking place October 17-22 online and in-person in Turin, Italy. The international conference is Italy’s premiere event for animation, VFX and computer graphics, where industry professionals, students and enthusiasts are invited to enjoy an inspiring week of talks, presentations, and workshops. In addition, online access opens this year’s event to a global audience.
Early bird ticket prices are available here through August 31.
This year VIEW welcomes the talent behind Vivo, the new musical adventure from Sony Pictures Animation and Netflix. Starring Lin-Manuel Miranda and Zoe Saldana, the film follows the adventures of a music-loving kinkajou on a quest to deliver a special song to an old friend. Leading the creative team is director and co-writer Kirk DeMicco, together with production designer Carlos Zaragoza, visual effects supervisor Karl Herbst, and head of character animation Kevin Webb.
Also presenting at VIEW are the makers of another hit animated feature from Sony Pictures Animation and Netflix, The Mitchells vs The Machines, in which a dysfunctional family unites to save the world from an apocalyptic robot uprising. Producers Phil Lord and Chris Miller will take part in an exclusive VIEW Conference panel, while Mike Rianda, the film’s director and co-writer, presents alongside production designer Lindsey Olivares and visual effects supervisor Mike Lasker.
Offering cutting edge insight into the world of animation is director Tim Miller, founder of Blur Studio and creator of the Netflix sci-fi animated anthology series Love, Death + Robots. Together with executive producer Jennifer Miller, he shares his experiences of making this Primetime Emmy award-winning show. View is also welcoming Peter Ramsey, co-director of the Academy Award winning Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and winner of an Annie Award from ASIFA-Hollywood for Outstanding Achievement for Directing in an Animated Feature Production, plus Elaine Bogan.
Everett Downing Jr., co-director of the Oscar-winning animated short Hair Love and veteran of animated features including Ratatouille and Monsters University joins this year’s conference. Also speaking are Celine Desrumaux, production designer on Over the Moon, the animated feature from Sony Pictures Animation and Netflix, and Marlon West, head of effects animation on and VFX supervisor on the upcoming Disney animated series Iwájú.
In a special panel, Respawn Entertainment game director Peter Hirschmann joins filmmaker Anthony Giacchino and his brother, composer Michael Giacchino, to celebrate the Medal of Honor series of videogames. Hirschmann wrote and directed the 2020 release Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond, which features Colette, Anthony Giacchino’s Oscar-winning documentary about World War II French Resistance fighter Colette Marin-Catherine. Michael Giacchino composed the game’s soundtrack in collaboration with Nami Melumad.
Also announced is the participation of Marc Petit, vice president and general manager of the Unreal Engine at Epic Games, and Sébastien Deguy, founder and CEO of Allegorithmic, the company that originally created the Substance 3D texturing suite, and now vice president of 3D & Immersive at Adobe.
“I am delighted to share this exciting news about our growing list of confirmed speakers for 2021,” noted conference director Dr. Maria Elena Gutierrez. “Every year, we are honored to welcome so many talented individuals into the VIEW Conference family. From animation to games, design to visual effects and beyond, I can’t wait for this incredible group of speakers to share their passion and wisdom with our global audience.”
With an already stellar line-up of industry leaders slated to participate in this year’s event, the announcement of the additional confirmed speakers promises to may this year a not to be missed event. Newly confirmed speakers include:
- Michael Giacchino, Composer – Composer of the Oscar-winning score for the 2009 Pixar film Up. His credits include Spider-Man: Far From Home Incredibles 2, Bad Times at the El Royale, and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
- Chris Miller, writer/producer/director, Sony Pictures Animation – Known for The Lego Movie (2014), Clone High (2002) and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018), and Mitchells vs. the Machines (2021).
- Phil Lord, writer/producer/director, Sony Pictures Animation – Known for the Mitchells vs. the Machines (2021), Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018), The Lego Movie (2014) and Clone High (2002).
- Tim Miller, Director - Director of Deadpool, Terminator: Dark Fate. Co-creator of Netflix’s Emmy award-winning Love, Death + Robots.
- Kirk DeMicco, director/co-writer, Vivo, Sony Pictures Animation / Netflix - DeMicco directed along with co-director Brandon Jeffords Sony’s original animated musical Vivo.
- Michael Rianda, director, co-writer of Sony’s The Mitchells vs The Machines.
- Elaine Bogan, co-director of DreamWorks Animation’s Spirit Untamed.
- Peter Ramsey, co-director of Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse.
- Everett Downing Jr., co-director of the Academy Award for Best Animated Short in 2019 Hair Love.
- Marc Petit, VP, general manager, Unreal Engine, Epic Games
- Sebastien Deguy, VP of 3D & Immersive, Adobe
- Jennifer Miller, executive producer and co-creator of Love, Death + Robots
- Lindsey Olivares, production designer of The Mitchells vs The Machines
- Celine Desrumaux, production designer, Over the Moon
- Carlos Zaragoza, production designer, Vivo, Sony Pictures Animation / Netflix
- Karl Herbst, visual effects supervisor, Vivo, Sony Pictures Animation / Netflix
- Kevin Webb, head of character animation, Vivo, Sony Pictures Animation / Netflix
- Mike Lasker, VFX supervisor, The Mitchells vs The Machines, Sony Pictures Animation / Netflix
- Marlon West, VFX supervisor, Iwaju, Disney Animation Studios
- Peter Hirschmann, director, Respawn Entertainment
- Anthony Giacchino, Filmmaker, Colette
Speakers announced last week include:
- Tom McGrath, director Boss Baby: Family Business, Keynote Speaker
- Tomm Moore, co-founder & creative director, Cartoon Saloon
- Kris Pearn, director, Sony Pictures Animation
- Hal Hickel, animation director, ILM. Academy Award & Bafta winner
- Steve May, chief technology officer, Pixar
- Brad Lewis, co-founder & chief creative officer, Spire Animation Studios
- Phil Tippett, director/visual effects supervisor
- Vicki Dobbs Beck, VP, Immersive Content Innovation, ILMxLAB
- Kim White, director of photography - lighting, Luca - Pixar Animation Studios
- Deanna Marsigliese, character art director, Luca, Pixar
- Sean Walker, VFX supervisor for Shang-Chi: The Legend of the Ten Rings, Weta
- Luke Millar, VFX supervisor for Jungle Cruise, Weta
- Volker Engel, head of VFX & animation, Uncharted Territory
- Rob Coleman, head of animation - Lego Batman Movie - Animal Logic
- Eloi Champagne, technical director - National Film Board of Canada, VR
- Nikola Damjanov, lead game artist, Nordeus
- Dylan Sisson, RenderMan – Pixar
- Glenn Entis, Academy Award Winner, co-founder PDI
- Oliver Scholl, production designer
- Patrick Tatopoulos, production designer and alien creature effects designer
- Douglas Smith, VFX supervisor
- Scott Squires, VFX supervisor
- Tim Versnel, Behavior Designer, SUE
- Alex Beddows, senior environment artist at Counterplay Games
- Juri Stanossek, VFX supervisor – Mackevision
- Heiko Burkardsmaier, VFX exec producer, head of business/legal affairs, Mackevision
- Jacob Norris, lead environment artist, NVIDIA
- Sebastien Hue, concept artist & illustrator
Check out the complete list of confirmed speakers here.
Source: VIEW Conference