October 22-26 conference additions also include WETA technology and Glenn Entis game financing talks.
TURIN, ITALY – The countdown to VIEW begins! With VIEWFEST and the VIEW Conference only two weeks away, conference director Dr. Maria Elena Gutierrez has announced new speakers, an intriguing list of workshops and masterclasses, and an exciting new venue – this year, VIEW moves to the newly restored Officine Grandi Riparazioni (OGR), a late-19th century industrial building that now houses a 20,000 square meter Innovation Hub and Arts Center.
Joining the list of previously announced speakers at VIEW 2018 are visual effects supervisor Thomas Hullin, who will present Rodeo FX’s work on Game of Thrones; executive VFX producer Florian Gellinger showing Rise Visual Effects’ work on Ant-Man and the Wasp; and Weta Digital’s head of R&D Paolo Emilio Selva discussing the latest technology innovations at the studio.
Glenn Entis will be back at VIEW with two previously unannounced sessions for game developers on the Sunday prior to the conference. The October 21 sessions offer game developer keys to success: Learn to Deliver a Perfect Business Pitch with Some of the Best Game Venture Capitalists and Learn to Make a Business Pitch are can’t miss presentation by Entis, co-founder of PDI, co-founder and senior advisor at Vanedge Capital, former CEO of DreamWorks Interactive, and former senior vice president of Electronic Arts.
Also added is a special Women in Animation panel featuring Paramount Animation president Mireille Soria, Cartoon Saloon creative director and The Breadwinner director Nora Twomey, Pixar director of photography Danielle Feinberg and LAIKA storyboard artist Emanuela Cozzi.
For VIEW, recruiting is always front and center and this year is no exception. A number of top studios, including Double Negative, Ilion, Pixomondo and Sony Pictures Imageworks will be interviewing artists for various open positions – VIEW’s job fair will host a number of recruitment booths where artists can meet and speak with studio representatives.
This year, the VIEWFEST digital movie festival being held October 19-21 will showcase the European premiere of SIGGRAPH’s 2018 Computer Animation Festival as well as the Italian premiere of La Noria with director Carlos Baena.
In addition to talks by leading scholars, directors, artists, writers, and animators, VIEW 2018 boasts an extensive roster of workshops and masterclasses by many top professionals.
“Our workshops and masterclasses give attendees the chance to study with leading practitioners in their fields,” Dr. Gutierrez notes. “To learn from ILM’s Glen McIntosh, who was the animation supervisor for two Jurassic World films, Danielle Feinberg, who was Pixar’s director of photography on Coco, and Henry LaBounta, art director at Electronic Arts, just to mention three, is a remarkable opportunity.”
VIEW 2018 Workshop highlights include:
- The Humor of Buster Keaton: David Misch, producer, stand-up comedian and screenwriter
- Visual Storytelling: All the Story Nuggets You Didn’t Know You Were Seeing: Pixar’s Danielle Feinberg, director of photography for Coco at Pixar
- Smallfoot: A Big Myth- Understanding Explained: Karl Herbst, visual effects supervisor at Sony Pictures Imageworks
- Making Characters Great Again: Mike Ford, visual effects supervisor at Sony Pictures Imageworks
- A Graphic Look at Animation Posing and Staging: Troy Saliba, animation supervisor at Double Negative
VIEW 2018 Masterclasses include:
- Designing the Monster: Industrial Light & Magic’s Glen McIntosh, animation supervisor for Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
- Art Directing with Vision and Purpose for Games: Henry LaBounta, senior art director, Electronic Arts
- Visual Effects for Computer Animation: Bill Watral, visual effects supervisor at Pixar Animation Studios for Incredibles 2
- The Comprehensive Art of the Elaborate Storyboard: Emanuela Cozzi, storyboard artist at Laika
- Character Walks: Alex Williams, head of animation at Escape Studios
- Post-production in 2D Animation: director Marino Guarnieri
- Compositing Visual Effects in 2D Animation: director Marino Guarnieri
- CG Cartoony Animation: Simone Giampaolo, animation director at Aardman Animation
- Acquiring and Lighting a Backplate for Visual Effects: Daniel Shutt, 3D teacher at Escape Studios
- Immersive Sound for Virtual Reality: Gianni Ricciardi, audio director at WANT Musik and Matteo Milani, sound designer at Unidentified Sound Object
In addition, Masterclass attendees can learn how to use specific software programs. Carlos Baena, Animation Mentor co-founder and La Noria director, will teach Animation and Characters: Learning to Use Artella; Helge Maus, owner of Pixeltrain 3D/VFX/Animation will teach hands-on workflows for motion graphics and guerilla VFX with Maxon Cinema 4D R20; director and VFX supervisor Hugo Guerra of Fire Without Smoke will lead a session on compositing with Nuke, and Dylan Sisson of Pixar will present RenderMan 22: Incredible Developments.
As previously announced, this year’s keynote speakers are an unprecedented group of industry luminaries -- VIEW 2018 has lined up five Oscar winners: composer Hans Zimmer, ILM visual effects supervisor Dennis Muren, SVP creative strategy at Magic Leap John Gaeta, creative director for Google Spotlight Stories Jan Pinkava, and Side FX founder and CEO Kim Davidson. Paramount Animation president Mireille Soria, head of ILM Rob Bredow, and computer graphics pioneer Professor Donald Greenberg, from Cornell University, fill out the roster.
The international VIEW Conference, Italy’s premiere event for Computer Graphics, Interactive and Immersive Storytelling, Animation, Visual Effects, Games, and VR, AR, and Mixed Reality, brings top professionals from those fields to the beautiful baroque city of Torino, Italy for a week of talks, presentations, and workshops. The conference runs October 22-26 – the VIEWFEST digital movie festival runs October 19-21.
Registration for the conference is now open.
Watch AWN interviews with past VIEW Conference presenters on AWN’s YouTube Channel.
Source: VIEW Conference
Dan Sarto is Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Animation World Network.