Third annual UCFTI Expo to host senior executives from 20th Century Fox, Huayi Brothers, IMAX, Lionsgate, Wanda, LeVision, iQIYI, Warner Bros. China and STX Entertainment.
LOS ANGELES -- Industry thought leaders from the world’s two leading film and television markets will come together to address topics of filmmaking, co-productions, deal-making, digital streaming and more during the third annual U.S. China Film & TV Industry Expo (UCFTI Expo) on Nov. 2-3, 2016 at Regal Cinemas L.A. Live, in Downtown Los Angeles. The Expo partnered with The Hollywood Reporter, the Motion Picture Association (MPA) and China Film Co-Production Corp. for this annual event that unites top executives, creative teams, producers and distributors under one roof and facilitates mutually beneficial relationships within the two countries’ film and television industries.
Seven panels and two keynotes will feature approximately 40 key executives, including Hongwei Chen, Vice General Manager of Tencent Pictures; Adam Goodman, President of LeVision Entertainment, and Simon Sun, EVP of LeVision; Yu Gong, Founder and CEO of iQIYI; Hawk Koch, Producer and former president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences; Chairman Xue Jijun of CCTV; Zhang Wei, President of Shanghai Oriental Pearl Group; Ning Ye, CEO of Huayi Bros.; Noah Fogelson, EVP of Corporate Strategy for STX Entertainment; Anthony Vogels, SVP of International Development for IMAX; and Brian Goldsmith, COO of Lionsgate, amongst others.
“Technology, finance and the international box office are the key drivers for the entertainment industry in China. Mix this with the legacy, experience and talent that is Hollywood, and it’s a winning formula,” said Bianca Chen, CEO of the UCFTI Expo. “When companies come together in person and collaborate, there is only room for continued excellence. The UCFTI Expo is the platform for these discussions.”
Panels include the following:
- A Look at 2016: Hosted by the Motion Picture Association (MPA), this panel will look at the state of the Entertainment Industry in 2016 including important box office successes, joint ventures, deals, partnerships, and evolving trends.
- The Art of Deal Making: Moderated by O’Melveny & Myers LLP, this panel will discuss financing deals, equity, new investments, and corporate structure differences to understand how to make international negotiations.
- Marketing American films in China vs. marketing films in the U.S.: A discussion on the differences in marketing films in China, with a special focus on the use of digital platforms in China and the use of trailers, cross promotion/merchandising and social media in the U.S.
- Animation Co-Production: A look at the evolution of animated films and how they have turned into a genre that appeals to both children and adults across many demographics.
- The Process of Filmmaking in China Including Co-productions: Hosted by the China Film Co-Production Corp., this panel will explore the process of making films in China. Topics will include initial script approval, the sensitivities of international audiences, filming locations, the qualifications of co-productions, securing a release date, and approval from regulatory agencies.
- Digital and Streaming Content in China and the U.S: Moderated by Shane Maidy, Vice President of MediaLink, this panel will look at why streaming platforms are becoming increasingly prevalent, as well as how on-demand films and television programs are becoming more accessible than ever before.
- The Development of Television Programming in China: A discussion on how the U.S. can collaborate with China to create innovative television programming, while appealing to Chinese culture and values.
Keynotes throughout the two Expo days include Guoqi Li, Deputy Director of State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SAPPRFT), as well as remarks from the office of Eric Garcetti, Mayor of Los Angeles.
The complete schedule of events, full list of panelists, registration and additional information about the Expo can be found at ucftiexpo.com.
Source: U.S. China Film & TV Industry Expo