At Annecy 2021, first time screenings, masterclasses, and keynotes include a look back with ‘Mémoire d’une minute,’ a shorts collection for Annecy award-winning directors; a masterclass presented by Walt Disney and Kugali animation studios; and a keynote by Terrence Malick about VR ‘Evolver – Prologue.’
The 2021 Annecy International Animation Film Festival, coming June 14-19, is celebrating its 60th year with a host of events including screenings and surprises – here is a peek:
Tuesday June 15, 8:30 p.m., Bonlieu Grande Salle
First time on a big screen:
- Mémoire d’une minute, a program of one-minute short films on the topic of memory, by 11 Annecy prize-winning directors. Interwoven on an initiative by Joan C. Gratz, they offer art ranging from the sentimental to the absurd.
- An Award for Mr. Rossi, first screened in 1960: a short by Bruno Bozzetto
- Far From the Tree, short film with a pre-recorded intro by director Natalie Nourigat - Walt Disney Animation Studios short film
Catch the urban exploration "Annecy Festival, 60 Years and Still Animated,” the CNC show at the Musée-Château, the Village du Festival.
Walt Disney and Kugali animation studios present Iwájú, the animation series.
- Session will be followed by a live Q&A - speakers include Jennifer Lee, Ziki Nelson, Tolu Olowofoyeku, Hamid Ibrahim, Natalie Nourigat, Marlon West
Three women directors will discuss their career choices and the themes underlying their works
- Speakers include Signe Baumane, Joanna Quinn, and Martina Scarpelli; the session will be moderated by Jayne Pilling.
The Making of includes four VIP-guided tours by directors and art teams through the inner workings of their movies.
- DreamWorks Animation will take participants behind the scenes of its two new features The Boss Baby: Family Business and Spirit Untamed, also included in Screening Events.
- Netflix will revisit the two seasons of Love, Death + Robots, a cult-status adult animation series.
- Baobab Studios will share the art and technology of Erick Oh’s Namoo.
- Executive producer Terrence Malick offers a glimpse of Evolver – Prologue, a VR. The presentation will explore the current state of immersive entertainment through 3 themes: creative potential, technological breakthrough, and spectators’ expectations.
For additional information visit the festival’s program page.
Source: Annecy 2021