Indie King Bill Plympton’s award-winning hand-drawn feature, ‘Cheatin’, prepares for a national theatrical rollout with screenings in New York and other cities beginning April 3.
Completing the festival circuit, indie animation king Bill Plympton has announced a theatrical run for his latest hand-drawn feature, Cheatin’. On April 3, the award-winning film will have its U.S. theatrical premiere in New York City prior to a nationwide rollout. Cheatin’ will screen in NYC until April 9, with tickets available at www.citycinemas.com.
Cheatin’ is an award-winning, surreal animated adult tale of love, jealousy, revenge, and murder. Inspired by the work of James M. Cain (Double Indemnity, The Postman Always Rings Twice), Cheatin’ marks Academy Award-nominated Bill Plympton’s seventh animated feature film. In 2014, Cheatin’ received the Prix du Jury award at Annecy, the Audience Award for Best Animated Feature at Fantasia Festival, and was named Best Animated Feature at the Gijon International Film Festival. The film was also nominated for Nominated for Best Animated Feature, Best Director, and Best Music at the 2015 Annie Awards.
The theatrical run for Cheatin’ will be accompanied by a slew of personal appearances, where Plympton plans on giving out sketches to every member of the audience who wants one. He'll also have very cool posters and DVDs of his earlier films for sale. In addition, the NYC premiere promises to be a star-studded affair, with a free Plympton sketch given to everyone who attends. Early attendees will get prints or drawings from the film.
Below is a list of opening dates around the country, along with a rough itinerary of Plympton’s travel schedule. Check back at cheatinmovie.com for additional dates as they continue to be booked.
Cheatin' Theatrical Release Opening Dates
- April 3 - NEW YORK - Village East Cinema
- April 10 - CHICAGO - Gene Siskel Theater
- April 13 - MINNEAPOLIS - St. Anthony Main Theater (Minneapolis Film Festival Screening)
- April 15 - SEATTLE - NW Film Forum
- April 16 - BELLINGHAM, WA - Pickford Film Center
- April 17 - SAN FRANCISCO - Roxie Theater
- April 17 - BERKELEY, CA - Elmwood Cinema
- April 17 - SONOMA, CA - Sebastopol Cinemas
- April 17 - SANTA FE, NM - Jean Cocteau Cinema
- April 21 - GAINESVILLE, FL - The Wooly
- April 24 - DENVER - Sie Film Center
- April 24 - PORTLAND, OR - Cinema 21
- April 24 - EUGENE, OR - Bijou Theater
- April 24 - SALEM, OR - Salem Cinema
- April 24 - CORVALLIS, OR - Darkside Cinema
- April 24 - ALBUQUERQUE, NM - Guild Cinema
- April 24 - COLUMBUS, OH - Gateway Film Center
- April 28 - DALLAS, TX - Texas Theater
- April 30 - WINSTON-SALEM, NC - Aperture Cinema
- May 1 - MINNEAPOLIS - U Film
- May 1 - BOSTON - Brattle Theater
- May 7 - ROCHESTER, NY - Little Theater
- May 10 - AUSTIN, TX - Austin Film Society
Bill Plympton Appearance Schedule (schedule subject to change, times TBD)
- April 3-5 - NEW YORK - Village East Cinema April 12
- CHICAGO - Gene Siskel Theater April 13-14
- MINNEAPOLIS - St. Anthony Main Theater April 15
- SEATTLE - NW Film Forum April 16
- BELLINGHAM, WA - Pickford Film Center April 17
- SAN FRANCISCO - Roxie Theater April 18
- BERKELEY, CA - Elmwood Cinema April 19
- SONOMA, CA - Sebastopol Cinemas April 22
- DENVER - Sie Film Center April 24-25
- PORTLAND, OR - Cinema 21 April 25
- SALEM, OR - Salem Cinema April 26
- EUGENE, OR - Bijou Theater April 26
- CORVALLIS, OR - Darkside Cinema April 27
- COLUMBUS, OH - Gateway Film Center May 1-3 - BOSTON - Brattle Theater May 7
- ROCHESTER, NY - Little Theater
Can‘t make it to the theater? Cheatin' will be available on Vimeo on Demand starting April 21, and is available for pre-order now. Only $4.99 to rent, $9.99 to buy.