New movies arriving from ‘Alma’s Way,’ ‘Molly of Denali,’ and ‘Ready Jet Go!’; ‘Keyshawn Solves It’ podcast follows an African-American boy as he uses a set of inherited keys to help solve a mystery.
PBS KIDS has announced its summer lineup including new movies from Alma’s Way, Molly of Denali, and Ready Jet Go! as well as episodes from new series Work It Out Wombats! and Rosie’s Rules. For families who love to listen together, a new podcast from GBH Kids and distribution partner PRX, Keyshawn Solves It, launches May 29.
The new serialized podcast, created and executive produced by Ed Jenkins and executive produced by Dorothea Gillim, follows a 10-year-old African-American boy who inherits a set of keys that he uses to help solve the mystery of disappearing bikes in his North Minneapolis neighborhood. It also introduces young listeners to Juneteenth and its origins while reinforcing important lessons that are “keys to success,” such as resilience, self-worth, and responsibility. The podcast will include eight episodes and will roll out twice weekly on the PBS KIDS Video App, PBS KIDS YouTube channel, and all major podcasting platforms. Listen to the trailer here.
The summer lineup includes:
- Alma Goes to Puerto Rico, an hour-long movie from Alma’s Way that follows Alma as she travels to Puerto Rico with her family to celebrate her Bisabuela’s 100th birthday. She searches for the perfect birthday present, explores the San Juan and Loíza areas, and dances Bomba on the beach, all while learning even more about Puerto Rico and her heritage (June 5).
- New episodes from Rosie’s Rules (June 26).
- Wise Raven & Old Crow, a one-hour Molly of Denali movie that follows Molly and her family as they embark on a river trip to a traditional Gwich’in village to honor their late Grandma Catherine. Getting there won’t be easy, so Molly must connect with her culture and listen to the land to get everyone there safely (July 10).
- Space Camp a brand-new feature-length film from Ready Jet Go! timed to the anniversary of the moon landing (July 20).
- New episodes from Work It Out Wombats! (July 24).
New games coming this summer include:
- Boom Boom Bah / ¡Tutún Pà! from Alma’s Way. Make music with Alma and her family in Puerto Rico! An update to this bilingual game brings new decorations, songs and instruments added for players to make remixes with Alma, Junior, and Prima Yvette.
- Rosie Care from Rosie’s Rules. Join Rosie as she helps with important care-taking jobs and routines – no job is too small! Take care of Dragon the bunny, help Iggy get ready for bed, water Tía’s jalapeño plant, pet Gatita, and more. Players will use tools and supplies to learn about the difference between needs and wants – all while keeping everyone happy and healthy.
- Elmo and Grover’s Farm Time Fun from Sesame Street. Explore the farm with Elmo and Grover! Learn about farm life as you help them plant and harvest food, sort animals, and even make a farm stand band!
“Summer is a perfect time for families to play and discover together, and we’re so excited to present brand-new content, activities, and resources to help inspire and support them in all their exploration this season,” said Sara DeWitt, Senior Vice President and General Manager, PBS KIDS. “From adventuring with friends like Alma and Molly to getting inspired to explore something new, PBS KIDS is a trusted resource for supporting summer fun and learning, wherever kids and families are.”
Source: PBS Kids