The latest hit from DreamWorks Animation, OVER THE HEDGE, comes to DVD on Oct. 17, 2006 (DreamWorks Animation/Paramount Home Ent., $19.95). The DVD features an all-new 3D-animated short created by the filmmakers, HAMMYS BOOMERANG ADVENTURE, directed by story artist Will Finn (who provides optional commentary), which reunites all of the films characters and original voice talent in a backyard spin on reality TV that shows what happens when you combine the ever-mischievous RJ the raccoon, three curious porcupine kids, a boomerang and a video camera. Not to mention a flighty squirrel.
The DVD also includes Behind The Hedge, a fascinating look at the real-life animal counterparts that inspired the on-screen heroes, filmmaker commentaries; a Verm-Tech Institute Infomercial spoofing Dwayne LaFontant, the dedicated exterminator with an arsenal of weapons and the worlds worst comb-over; The Tech of OVER THE HEDGE, which explains the animation process of creating the film, cast interviews and step-by-step instructions by a DreamWorks animator on how to draw Hammy.
In addition there will be an extra bonus feature on Nov. 28 when DreamWorks will reveal a secret code on the OVER THE HEDGE website (www.overthehedgemovie.com), which invites viewers to unlock more content.
Bonus features include:
* Behind the Hedge: an inside look at how the films animation team worked to capture the personalities of the comic strip characters and translate them into three-dimensional critters. The program also shows filmmakers studying the real-life intricacies of the animals they were designing and animating and how the voice talent contributed to the development of their respective characters.
* Commentary from directors Tim Johnson, Karey Kirkpatrick and producer Bonnie Arnold about working on the film and bringing the popular comic strip to animated life.
* Meet the Cast: Meet the cast that includes Bruce Willis, Gary Shandling, Steve Carell, Wanda Sykes, William Shatner, Nick Nolte, Thomas Haden Church, Allison Janney, Eugene Levy and Catherine OHara.
* The Tech of OVER THE HEDGE: interviews with the animation team explaining the steps taken to make sure the characters fur moved naturally whether they were standing still or zipping across the screen. Plus, a fun look at how they met the technical challenges of making everything from a forest full of furry characters and foliage to an explosion of nacho cheese flavoring look realistic.
* DreamWorks Kids: This Way to Play: This virtual playground offers a variety of programming and creative activities just for kids, including Animal Fun Facts: Critter 411, Animator 101: Learn to Draw Hammy (featuring stroke-by-pencil stroke instructions from supervising animator David Burgess).
DreamWorks Animation SKG is principally devoted to developing and producing CG-animated, feature films. With world-class creative talent, a strong and experienced management team and advanced CG filmmaking technology and techniques, DreamWorks Animation makes high quality CG-animated films meant for a broad movie-going audience. DreamWorks Animation Home Ent. is responsible for the worldwide sales, marketing and distribution of DWAs titles on DVD.
Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corp., a unit of Viacom, a global entertainment company that produces and distributes filmed entertainment through the Paramount Motion Picture Group. PHE is responsible for the worldwide sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment products on behalf of various parties, including: Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks SKG, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, CBS, PBS and Hasbro, and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Ent.