Running Feb. 26-March 20, animated feature slate includes special preview screenings of Funimation’s ‘The Boy and The Beast’ and Mark Osborne’s ‘The Little Prince.’
NEW YORK -- The critically acclaimed New York Int’l Children’s Film Festival has announced its 2016 jury and slate preview for the upcoming event, which runs February 26-March 20 at New York’s Bow Tie Chelsea, DGA Theater, IFC Center, Museum of the Moving Image, Scandinavia House, SVA Theatre, and Village East Cinemas. Now in its 19th year, the Festival is the nation’s largest for children and teens and will present all new animated, live action, documentary and experimental shorts and features from approximately 30 countries.
The 2016 jury includes new members Sofia Coppola and Julianne Moore, as well as returning members Geena Davis, Matthew Modine, Susan Sarandon, Gus Van Sant and Jeffrey Wright (complete jury below). As an Oscar qualifying festival, NYICFF jury winners qualify for consideration for the 2017 Academy Awards in the Live Action and Animated Short Film categories.
- The Boy and the Beast, Opening Night Film – Special Preview Screening, Japan, Animation, Mamoru Hosoda. Presented by Funimation Films prior to the film’s March 4 nationwide release.
- The Idol, Closing Day Film – US Premiere, United Kingdom/Palestine/Qatar/Netherlands/United Arab Emirates, Live Action, Hany Abu-Assad
- The Little Prince – Special Preview Screening, France/USA, Animation, Mark Osborne
2016 FESTIVAL JURY:
- John Canemaker – Academy Award-winning animator (The Moon and the Son)
- Sofia Coppola – Academy Award-winning writer, director and producer (Lost In Translation, Somewhere, Marie Antoinette)
- Geena Davis – Academy Award-winning actor and Founder, Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media
- Lynne McVeigh – Associate Professor of Children’s Media at NYU Tisch School of the Arts
- Matthew Modine – Award-winning actor (Full Metal Jacket, The Dark Knight Rises)
- Julianne Moore – NY Times Bestselling author, Academy Award and Emmy-winning actress
- Richard Peña – Director Emeritus New York Film Festival, Columbia University Professor of Film Studies
- Bill Plympton – Academy Award-nominated filmmaker (Guard Dog, Idiots and Angels)
- Dana Points – Editor-in-Chief of Parents magazine
- Susan Sarandon – Academy Award-winning actor (Dead Man Walking, Ping Pong Summer)
- James Schamus – Award-winning filmmaker (Brokeback Mountain, The Ice Storm)
- Christine Vachon – Award-winning filmmaker (Boys Don’t Cry, Mildred Pierce)
- Gus Van Sant – Award-winning director (Good Will Hunting, Milk)
- Taika Waititi – Academy Award-nominated writer/director (Two Cars One Night, What We Do in the Shadows)
- Jeffrey Wright – Award-winning actor (Basquiat, The Hunger Games)
The complete festival lineup will be announced on January 26 and tickets for the festival will go on sale on the NTICFF website.
Source: New York Int’l Children’s Film Festival