Based on the classic book series, the latest iteration of the popular ‘Thomas & Friends’ franchise features fast colorful 2D animation, more physical comedy, and expressive characters; coming this fall to Cartoon Network and Netflix.
Mattel has announced their latest franchise, Thomas & Friends: All Engines Go, based on the classic children’s book series by Rev. W. Awdy that first introduced the world to “Thomas the Tank Engine” 75 years ago. The new 2D animated series premieres this fall on Cartoon Network and Netflix.
The series, which is being developed in partnership with Corus Entertainment’s Nelvana Studio, will introduce a new creative approach to Thomas & Friends content. The show will feature new art direction, more physical comedy, and a greater range of character expressiveness. The fast and colorful show is crafted to appeal to contemporary audiences’ sensibilities while maintaining Thomas’ core brand ethos.
Thomas & Friends: All Engines Go will feature the following creative elements:
- Stories Told from Thomas’ Point of View – As the hero of his own adventure, Thomas will be center stage and audiences will see the world through his young eyes. More playful and relatable than ever before, his competitive spirit will be readily apparent as he strives to be the Number One Tank Engine through play, trial, and error, and just enjoying being a kid.
- Purposeful, Playful Stories – Age-appropriate themes brought to life in a comedic and playful way have always been at the heart of our Thomas content. The series will continue to deliver meaningful life lessons - In the show’s first episode has young Thomas keeping a promise to Gordon, even if it means forfeiting a race with competitive Diesel. For Thomas, the “high road” is not always the easy choice, but it is making that choice that positions him as a role model for young viewers.
- A Penchant for Physical Comedy – Making the most of 2D animation, the characters will be brought to life in ways never seen before. Engines can shake, move, and wiggle out of any wacky scenario, whether it is an avalanche or simply avoiding a family of ducks that suddenly appears up ahead. Audiences will see flips, flops, and sensational acrobatics on a regular basis in this new 2D world.
- More Music Than Ever Before – Music has been a key element of Thomas & Friends and the tradition will continue, now with more songs than ever before. Frequent songs advance the stories and invite the audience to sing along.
New Adventurous Cast – In addition to Thomas, the show features four additional young engines who make up his tight circle of friends:
- Nia has an adventurous spirit. She loves to try new things and visit new places. She hails from Kenya, has traveled more than any of our friends and often has valuable insight into places Thomas has never been.
- Percy is Thomas’ best friend and quite a jokester. He has a lot of hidden courage (that not even he is aware of!) and will do anything to help his friends.
- Diesel is Thomas’ competitive friend, always trying to one-up Thomas and inadvertently causes trouble for everyone in his quest to be “the real Number One Tank Engine.”
- Kana is an all-new electric high-speed rail train from Japan. She crackles with electric speed, lets out a sonic whistle and often causes the trees and telephone poles to bend in her wake.
“Thomas & Friends is a brand with a deep content legacy that has resonated with families around the world for decades,” commented Mattel Television SVP and general manager, Fred Soulie. “The creative evolution of Thomas & Friends, coupled with the franchise’s iconic characters, has transcended generations and we look forward to working with broadcasters across the globe to bring Thomas’ latest stories to existing and new fans alike.”
Source: Mattel Television