Veteran Buck NY designer shares advice for mid-level creatives, including early career building; pitching, briefing & idea development; moodboards, storyboards, style frames & concept art; and reflection on the future.
Masters of Motion a nonprofit website, social media channel, and podcast platform that provides a glimpse into the world of the Australian and New Zealand animation industry, focuses its efforts on inspiring the next generation of motion designers, animators, visual effects, and 3D artists.
Their latest podcast:
Jon Gorman: Buck NYC - How to be a top art director & Improving ideas, concepts, and production methods.
Originally from Melbourne Australia, Gorman worked first at Buck LA as a motion designer and then as an art director in New York. He has been working on high end design and animation for over 15 years, as a skilled artist and leader with experience in all areas of production. Currently he is a creative director at Buck New York working on some of the world’s biggest brands.
Listen now at Masters of Motion as Gordon discusses:
- Advice for mid-level - motion designers, art directors & directors
- Early career Melbourne Freelancing - XYZ & 21:19
- Buck LA & Buck NYC
- Prevention versus feasibility
- Pitching, briefing & idea development
- Moodboards, storyboards, style frames & concept art
- Presenting your storyboards
- Art directing storyboards
- Editing & timing
- Project review - explainer videos
- Writing good scripts
- Art directing & creative direction
- Lessons you have learned
- Reflection & the future
Also available on: Apple, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Soundcloud or Spotify.
Source: Masters of Motion