The upcoming shows – almost all live-action - make up ‘Chapter 1’ of the new core, interconnected DC Universe; the first film, ‘Superman: Legacy,’ hits theaters July 11, 2025.
Finally, an update on the new DCU! DC Studios has announced an upcoming slate touting a whopping 10 film and television projects, which will all interconnect within the same universe. Viewers can expect projects to share characters, unless appearing outside of the shared continuity, such as Todd Philips’ Joker: Folie à Deux and Matt Reeves’ upcoming The Batman – Part II. Any film or series not within the established core DC Universe continuity will be clearly labeled DC Elseworlds to prevent confusion.
Co-Chairmen and CEOs James Gunn and Peter Safran have revealed that the beginning of the new saga (much like the MCU ‘Phases’) will begin with “Chapter 1,” and will be comprised of five films and five HBO Max television series in the theme of “Gods and Monsters.” This Chapter is already in development.
“As we craft the plan for DC Studios, we are thrilled to share with fans the first 10 stories they can expect from the unified DC Universe featuring some of our most well-known characters as well as the next generation of marquee characters” said Safran. “Chapter 1 tells cohesive stories that highlight love, compassion, and the innate goodness of the human spirit, all designed to minimize audience confusion and maximize audience engagement across platforms.”
The first film in the new slate is Gunn’s Superman: Legacy, set to release in theaters on July 11, 2025. He explained, “Superman: Legacy is the true foundation of our creative vision for the DC Universe. Not only is Superman an iconic part of DC lore, he is also a favorite character for comic book readers, viewers of earlier movies, and fans around the world. I can’t wait to introduce our version of Superman who audiences will be able to follow and get to know across films, movies, animation and gaming.”
Of the upcoming slate, Safran noted, “Many of the following projects are already being worked on, but we’re remaining flexible and we’re going to adjust because we’re never going to put a project into production before the script is right. This is a general timeline, but there will be flexibility within it.”
The full “Chapter 1” slate includes:
- Superman: Legacy – written by Gunn, the live-action film will focus on Superman balancing his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing.
- The Authority – WildStorm characters will join the DCU as members of The Authority take matters into their own hands to do what they believe is right
- The Brave and the Bold – the DCU will introduce its Batman and Robin in this unusual live-action father-son story inspired by Grant Morrison’s comic series
- Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow - this live-action science fiction adventure, which will be based on Tom King’s amazing, award-winning recent comics stories, presents a Supergirl viewers are not used to seeing
- Swamp Thing – the live-action film will investigate the dark origins of Swamp Thing
Television Projects for HBO Max
- Creature Commandos – a seven-episode animated series in which Amanda Waller creates a black ops team out of monstrous prisoners; Gunn wrote all the episodes of the first season
- Waller – starring Viola Davis, this live-action series features Team Peacemaker and will be written by Christal Henry (Watchmen) and Jeremy Carver (Supernatural)
- Booster Gold – Booster Gold uses basic technology from the future to pretend to be a superhero in present day in the live-action HBO Max series
- Lanterns – this enormous live-action TV event series follows intergalactic cops John Stewart and Hal Jordan as they uncover a dark mystery
- Paradise Lost – set in Themyscira, home of the Amazons and birthplace of Wonder Woman, this live-action drama focuses on the genesis and political intrigue of an island of all women