Initiative pairs students and young professionals with Netflix Animation mentors to build equity and access for underrepresented early creatives; latest edition partners with LA-based Black N' Animated.
Netflix is launching the third session of its four-month mentorship program, the Netflix Animation Foundation Program, this time offered in collaboration with Black N' Animated, a Los Angeles-based community-oriented organization committed to the growth and empowerment of Black students and professionals in the animation industry. Home to the Black N’ Animated Podcast, hosted by Bre Williams and Waymond Singleton, the group works with local studios and organizations, providing networking opportunities and career development to foster a healthy, diverse, and inclusive industry and community.
The program provides mentorships in art and visual development, storyboarding, CG/VFX, writing, and production management. The objective is to build equity and increase access for underrepresented early creatives. Approximately 50 mentees will participate in the next session.
Black N’ Animated will invite select members to apply directly. Other individuals seeking consideration should contact the organization through the group’s website.
The initiative’s inaugural session kicked off last year with Latinx in Animation and Exceptional Minds and included 74 mentees and 19 Netflix Animation mentors. The second session, which ran earlier this year, involved Veterans in Media and Entertainment (VME) and IllumiNative, boasting 22 Netflix Animation mentors and 52 mentees sourced from Illuminative and VME.
Participants were matched to mentors from Netflix Animation Studio and received mentorship on the industry, career advice, and guidance with editing and curating professionally styled portfolios, writing samples, or resumes to apply for internships, training/apprentice programs, or entry-level positions within the animation industry.
Here are some of the session one success stories:
Session 1 - Latinx in Animation:
- Gabriel Vergara: Development Intern at Nickelodeon
- Gabriella DeJesus: CG Generalist at Fuse FX
- Shutianyi Li: Character Designer at Marvel Studios
- Jessica Calabro: Production Assistant at Titmouse
- Clarissa Corral: Art Intern at Warner Brothers
- Lauren Gregorio: Intern at Nickelodeon
- Saige Guevara: Freelance Character Designer at Disney TV Animation
Session 1 - Exceptional Minds:
- Eli Gross: Internship with DreamWorks Animation
- Veronica Dolcich: Character Animator at Diamond Games
- Sarah Barnes: Junior Motion Graphics Artist at PPC
- Adam Schuering: Media Services Coordinator at CBS Sports
- Becca David: Production Intern at Nickelodeon
- David Miles: VFX Production Assistant at NBC Universal
- Doron Tuvia: Design Intern at Mattel
- Michael Cicerelli: Media Coordinator with CBS Sports
- Mina McCauley: Motion Graphics and VFX Artist at Pixelogic