The upcoming conference program, in partnership with the Academy Software Foundation, highlights cross-industry efforts to develop shared technology for VFX, animation and sound; additional confirmed speakers include Pixar’s technical director Markus Kranzler and Inda Barnardo, director of ‘Cat and Moth.’
FMX 2021 is around the corner, with the virtual edition running May 4-6. Additional speakers have been confirmed for the Open Source track, a program developed in partnership with the Academy Software Foundation that highlights cross-industry efforts to develop shared technologies for image creation, visual effects, animation, and sound.
Open source software has provided a foundation for much of the visual effects and animation used in today’s filmmaking. Developers and engineers across the industry are working together to solve common challenges and to develop new tools that help bring images to life.
- David Morin (Executive Director, Academy Software Foundation)
- Nick Cannon (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
- Larry Gritz (Sony Pictures Imageworks)
- Carol Payne (Netflix)
- Jim Jeffers & Sean McDuffee (Intel Corporation)
- Kimball Thurston (Weta Digital)
- Karen Ruggles (DeSales University)
- Benoit Maujean & Fabien Castan (Mikros Image)
- Allan Johns (Method Studios)
Additional speakers just confirmed:
A look at Pixar’s Soul:
- Join Markus Kranzler (Technical Director at Pixar Animation Studios) for a look at the creative and technical efforts that created the unique ethereal characters in Pixar's Soul.
The making of Cat and Moth
- India Barnardo and some of her team walk through the making of the cutting-edge short Cat and Moth. Inspired by observations of the bemusing behavior of her beloved feline friends, character animator and cat lover Barnardo directed the playful natured animation film. She created it with a team of more than 90 filmmakers scattered all over the world working entirely online, made possible through the collaborative platform Artella.
For additional information visit the event website.
Source: FMX 2021