A family road trip evolves into a quest to save the world from a machine apocalypse in the hit CG animated comedy adventure; bonus features include Katie Mitchell’s hilarious sock puppet parody short, ‘Dog Cop 7: The Final Chapter,’ a look into her filmmaking process, a look behind the making of the movie, as well as tutorials on how to make sock puppets and Katie face cupcakes.
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment today has released The Mitchells vs. The Machines on Digital, Blu-Ray and DVD. In the movie an old school father and his plugged-in, filmmaker daughter struggle to relate as their family embarks on a road trip to her new college. Their drive is interrupted by a machine apocalypse that threatens to tear these unlikely heroes apart unless they can find a way to join forces and save humanity.
As a special treat for fans, included as a special bonus feature on the Blu-ray is Dog Cop 7: The Final Chapter, an all-new stop-motion / live-action / CG mashup mini-movie directed by Caitlin VanArsdale, who served as a storyboard artist on the feature film. The short is a hilarious sendup of genre films and a loving tribute to an amateur auteur with a ton of ambition and a shoestring budget. Read AWN’s interview with VanArsdale here.
The Mitchells vs. The Machines is produced by the dynamic duo of Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, producers of the Oscar-winning animated feature, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and The LEGO Movie. The film is written by former Gravity Falls scribes Mike Rianda and Jeff Rowe, who also serve as director and co-director. It stars Rianda, Abbi Jacobson, Danny McBride, Maya Rudolph, Eric Andre, Olivia Colman, Blake Griffin, Fred Armisen, Beck Bennett, Chrissy Teigen, John Legend, Charlyne Yi, Conan O'Brien, Sasheer Zamata, Elle Mills, Alex Hirsch, and Jay Pharoah. And Doug the Pug. Lord, Miller, and Kurt Albrecht produced the film; Will Allegra, Louis Koo Tin Lok executive produced.
The Mitchells vs. The Machines features CG animation, integrated with hand-drawn 2D animation, live-action footage, and puppetry, taking the audience on a family road trip that metamorphoses into a wild ride.
BLU-RAY, DVD AND DIGITAL BONUS MATERIALS
Katie's Cabinet of Forgotten Wonders: Take a rare look inside Katie Mitchell’s filmmaking process as she gives you an exclusive look into how the movie was made.
- Dumb Robots Trailer
- The Original “Mitchells” Story Pitch
- The Furby Scene - How? Why?
- PAL's World
The Mitchells Vs. The Machines: Or How a Group of Passionate Weirdos Made a Big Animated Movie:
- Go inside the story of The Mitchells vs the Machines and meet a group of first-time filmmakers & talented cast who banded together to take a collective risk on making a unique, original, and totally off-the-wall film about an everyday, epic, world-saving family!
How To Make Sock Puppets:
- Katie Mitchell opens the door to her film school. Learn how to make sock puppets who could be extras in your next short film!
How To Make Katie Face Cupcakes:
- Enjoy making cupcakes only a mother could love.
EXCLUSIVE BLU-RAY BONUS MATERIALS
Dog Cop 7: The Final Chapter:
- Katie Mitchell is back and creating the most hilarious film of her young career – check out an all-new mini-movie, Dog Cop 7: The Final Chapter. In a world where the holidays are being haunted by the Candy Cane Kidnapper, there is only one Dog with the skills to solve the case.
Katie’s Extended Cinematic Bonanza Cut!:
- Prepare to witness Katie's director’s cut, an extended version of the original film with over 40 minutes of deleted scenes.
8 Bonus Scenes:
- Get more Mitchells with over 20 minutes of Deleted & Extended Scenes.
Source: Sony Pictures Home Entertainment