MIPCOM ONLINE+ will enable the international community to connect and share the MIPCOM experience, in Cannes or anywhere worldwide.
PARIS -- MIPCOM 2020, initially programmed for October 12-15, has announced that the 36th edition will take place as MIPCOM RENDEZVOUS CANNES, a streamlined, 3-day gathering of the international television community in Cannes (October 12-14), together with MIPCOM ONLINE+, a premium digital service (October 5-mid-November).
MIPJunior, traditionally held as a hotel-based program screening and networking event, will move into the Palais des Festivals, and run alongside MIPCOM RENDEZVOUS CANNES.
“We want to help the international television community get back to business and the combination of face-to-face at MIPCOM RENDEZVOUS CANNES and digital MIPCOM ONLINE+ makes this possible,” commented Reed MIDEM’s television division director, Laurine Garaude. “We understand that some people will be unable to travel to Cannes, so they can be part of the MIPCOM experience digitally. New health and safety guidelines meant considerable disruption and extra costs for exhibitors and their stands, so we decided there will be no exhibition stands at MIPCOM RENDEZVOUS CANNES.”
MIPCOM RENDEZVOUS CANNES will see a new show floorplan for face-to-face meetings and market screenings; delegates will be able to use open meeting spaces, reserved tables, or privatized lounges. The event will take place in the Ambassadeurs and Riviera halls of the Palais des Festivals. Physical distancing will be in place as part of comprehensive health and safety measures throughout the Palais.
“The launch of the Global Upfronts is the centerpiece of our Buyers Program,” added Garaude. “We have stepped up our invitations to buyers and we are also working closely with major studios from around the world to present their newest and most exciting slate of content.”
Delegates who are unable to attend MIPCOM RENDEZVOUS CANNES can set up online video meetings, screen programs and access conferences via MIPCOM ONLINE+ enabling the international community to connect and share the MIPCOM experience, in Cannes or anywhere worldwide.
Exhibitors who have already booked a stand for this year’s MIPCOM will receive a choice of refunds or credits for MIPCOM RENDEZVOUS CANNES or future MIP markets.
MIPCOM RENDEZVOUS CANNES PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS:
- An exclusive Buyers Program featuring screenings including the new Global Upfronts, market screenings and market intelligence will occur, along with a full conference program including high-profile keynotes, market trends and industry analysis.
- The MIPCOM Diversify TV Excellence in TV and MIP SDG Awards will be the centerpiece of the newly announced Change for Good program, an industry forum for global social change.
- MIPJunior delegates will have a dedicated program and will have their own distinct networking zone within the redesigned show floor, including access to the digital screening library, conferences, and meeting spaces.
- Season 3 of the CANNESERIES FESTIVAL will take place alongside MIPCOM RENDEZVOUS CANNES.
- MIPCOM ONLINE+ will launch on October 5 and will run until mid-November
- MIPCOM ONLINE+ will enrich the market experience for participants attending MIPCOM RENDEZVOUS CANNES and for those who cannot travel to Cannes.
- Global Upfronts, market screenings and the most important conference sessions and speakers from Cannes will be accessible to delegates and new audiences in Cannes and worldwide.
- Extensive content from studio partners and international distributors will showcased.
- The enhanced database will facilitate online networking opportunities, allowing users to set up highly targeted, video business meetings between distributors and buyers.
“For many of us, MIPCOM RENDEZVOUS CANNES will be the first international TV trade market to take place, as a live gathering since business was disrupted by the global Covid-19 pandemic,” concluded Garaude. “We’ll be there to greet the TV industry in Cannes in October and for those who can’t make it, we will connect everyone virtually.”