Other films receiving top honors at the annual animation, VFX, and games conference include ‘Latitude du Printemps,’ ‘Trésor,’ and ‘The Dead Hands of Dublin.’
View 2020 has announced the winners for this year’s competition. The conference director and jury president, Dr. Maria Elena Gutierrez, noted the exceptionally high quality of the more than 200 submissions received this year.
The nine-member International jury met virtually this year. Jurors included: Jury Chair - Barbara Robertson (journalist); Jury President - Dr. Gutierrez; Terry Flores (senior editor at Variety); Celine Desrumaux (production designer); Steve Muench (animated film investor/fan); Kristina Morss (video editor, sound designer, host of The Closing Credits podcast); Theodore Ty (global head of character animation at DNEG); Dylan Sisson(digital artist and Pixar Renderman evangelist); and Francesco Narciso (Neo graduate in design and visual communication at Polytechnic of Turin).
“The jurors were impressed with the variety of the types of animation and stories,” commented Dr. Gutierrez. “And, they said the production level the entrants have gotten to is insane.”
VIEW 2020 Award for Best Short Film:
Migrants - Zoé Devise, Lucas Lermytte, Hugo Caby, Aubin Kubiak, and Antoine Dupriez of POLE 3D in Roubaix, France.
- Two polar bears are driven into exile due to global warming and go on a quest for a new home. Unfortunately, the immigrants’ ice floe docks at a territory ruled by proprietary brown bears.
- The Jurors noted the relevance of the strong, story-driven film’s metaphors of climate change and immigration treated in an emotional, deep, and unique way. The crafty textures of the knitted polar bears and fuzzy brown bears contributed to a beautiful overall look. The nine-member international jury unanimously gave this unique, gorgeous film the top prize of 2000 Euros.
VIEW 2020 Jury Award:
Latitude du Printemps by Sylvain Cuvillier, Chloé Bourdic, Théophile Coursimault, Noémie Halberstam, Maŷlis Mosny, and Zijing Ye
- In this unpredictable film, a dog, abandoned at the side of the road and attached to a streetlight, meets a young astronaut wannabe and a professional cyclist trying to beat her highest score.
- The jury loved the innovative storytelling, refreshing animation, and especially that it was so much fun to watch and gave this film the 500 Euro VIEW 2020 Jury Award.
VIEW 2020 Honorable Mention:
Trésor directed by Alexandre Manzanares
- Two sea-going, treasure-hunting explorers disturb a romance between an octopus and his beloved.
- The jury praised the clever animation in the parallel storylines and gave this film a 200 Euro VIEW 2020 Honorable Mention.
VIEW 2020 Honorable Mention:
The Dead Hands of Dublin directed by Leo Crowley
- A pair of enchanted gloves transform a failed pianist into a maestro. But fate deals the pianist a cruel hand.
- The jury loved the fantastic writing, courageous use of a limerick, the rhythm, and the unpretentiousness, and awarded this film the second 200 Euro VIEW 2020 Honorable Mention.
ItalianMix 2020 Award:
For Teddy directed by Marco Giglio. Big Rock School of animation and visual effects
- A lifeless teddy bear receives a rousing farewell from its space marine pals.
- Director Giglio receives a Wacom Tablet Intuos Pro.
Complete information on the winners is available HERE.
Source: View Conference