June 10 Q&A with industry veterans is designed to help recent graduates get work in animation during COVID-19 pandemic.
Tomorrow, June 10, The Animation Guild will host an online panel Q&A of industry leaders to help recent graduates get started in animation during COVID-19. A roster of leading industry insiders will share interviewing and hiring insights, review best practices for portfolios and reels, and answer other questions graduates might have.
The coronavirus pandemic has had a tremendous impact on recent graduates, from the cancelation of traditional graduation ceremonies marking the completion of their degrees, to the devastating shutdown of entertainment industry productions that have made transitioning into the workforce extremely challenging. Many of the resources available to them in the past, such as portfolio reviews, student galleries, and recruiting events, have been cancelled.
The Q&A will provide much-needed insights as graduates prepare to start their careers in the field of animation.
Additional topics to be discussed are social media presence, the difference between union and non-union studios, mentorship, technology, working remotely, and how to navigate starting out given the limitations created by the pandemic. The event will be moderated by Animation Guild President Jeanette Moreno King and Director of Communications and Content Alexandra Drosu.
The event takes place Wednesday, June 10, 2020 6pm – 7:30 pm PST.
You can find online registration here: https://bit.ly/3gKM1KT
Because webinar space is limited, this event will also be available on Facebook Livestream: https://www.facebook.com/animationguild/posts/3247410448636595
Panels schedule to participate are as follows:
- Jorge Gutierrez, Writer/Director/Producer, Book of Life and the upcoming Maya and the Three (Netflix)
- Roger Oda, Background Designer, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (Netflix), Final Space (Adult Swim) and American Dad! (Fox)
- Latoya Raveneau, Storyboard Artist/Director, Final Space (Adult Swim) and the upcoming The Proud Family (Disney)
- Mairghread Scott, Writer/Producer, Guardians of the Galaxy (Marvel) and writer on Star Wars: Resistance (Disney)
- Marc Scott, Visual Effects Supervisor, Boss Baby 2 (DreamWorks Feature Animation)
- Stephen Silver, Character Designer, Kim Possible, Danny Phantom and Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?
- Paula Spence, Art Director of the shorts program (Cartoon Network)
- Emily Walus, Background Painter, OK KO! Let’s Be Heroes (Cartoon Network) Layout Artist on unannounced show (Titmouse)
Source: The Animation Guild
Dan Sarto is Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Animation World Network.