Creators of ‘Coraline,’ ‘ParaNorman,’ ‘The Boxtrolls,’ ‘Kubo and the Two Strings’ and upcoming ‘Missing Link’ take over Gaslamp Quarter storefront with all new and expansive exhibit coinciding with San Diego Comic-Con 2018.
Oscar-winning animation studio LAIKA, creators of Coraline, ParaNorman, The Boxtrolls and Kubo and the Two Strings, returns to the heart of San Diego’s historic Gaslamp Quarter with an all new, bigger-than-ever LAIKA LIVE exhibit from Friday, July 13 through Sunday, July 22, coinciding with the city’s PRIDE and Comic-Con festivities.
With a new location (350 Fifth Avenue) providing three times the space as last year’s fantastically successful LAIKA installation, the free and all new exhibit will feature a huge cache of props, puppets, and sets from LAIKA’s critically acclaimed and award-winning films. Highlights include fan art, technology demonstrations, drawings for a pair of coveted Coraline Dunks from Nike, social media activations, LAIKA merchandise offered for sale (including brand new items and limited edition Coraline items), multiple giveaways, and more. LAIKA President & CEO Travis Knight will lead a Facebook Live tour of the exhibit and do an autograph signing with a soon-to-be-announced special guest on Saturday, July 21.
Curators will explain the magical process of LAIKA’s filmmaking as guests peek behind the curtain at one of the most imaginative film studios in the world. LAIKA’s roster of costume characters (appearing both at the exhibit and throughout the Gaslamp Quarter) will pose for photos and for the first time ever will include Coraline and Other Mother, in a nod to the iconic film’s 10th anniversary (release date was February 9, 2009). In addition, fans will meet the costume character Mr. Link and see a set and Mr. Link puppet from LAIKA’s latest film Missing Link (set for release April 19, 2019).
Friday, July 13 to Sunday, July 22, 2018
San Diego’s Gaslamp District
350 Fifth Avenue (between J & K Streets)
San Diego, CA 92101
Hours of Operation:
- Friday, 7/13: 2-10pm
- Saturday, 7/14: 2-10pm
- Sunday, 7/15: 11am-5pm
- Monday, 7/16: 12-5pm
- Tuesday, 7/17: 12-5pm
- Wednesday, 7/18: 12-5pm
- Thursday, 7/19: 10am-10pm
- Friday, 7/20: 10am-11pm
- Saturday, 7/21: LAIKA store opens at 10am; exhibit: 2:00pm-11pm
- Sunday, 7/22: 10am-6pm
Saturday, July 21 (with soon-to-be announced special guest)
- 11:00am: LAIKA President & CEO Travis Knight (director of Kubo and the Two Strings) will take Facebook Live guests on a tour of the exhibit. (Details tba)
- 12:30 to 2:00pm: Autograph signing session with Travis Knight. Autographs of merchandise (available at the store at LAIKA LIVE) will be available on a first-come, first-served basis, time permitting.
WHAT TO SEE at LAIKA LIVE:
- Sets, puppets, props and technology demonstrations from all four LAIKA films as well as our hero puppet and a set from the studio’s upcoming Missing Link.
- LAIKA merchandise available for purchase.
- Daily drawing for one pair of collectible Coraline Dunks from Nike.
- Photo ops with LAIKA costume characters, including:
- Coraline and Other Mother from Coraline
- Norman and Zombie Judge from ParaNorman
- Boxtrolls Fish and Sparky from The Boxtrolls
- Kubo, Monkey and Beetle from Kubo and the Two Strings
- Mister Link from Missing Link