New ultimate collector’s edition from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment includes new making-of documentary, ‘The Giant’s Dream.’
BURBANK, CA -- The classic beloved animated tale, The Iron Giant, returns to home screens when Warner Bros. Home Entertainment releases The Iron Giant: Signature Edition for the first time on Blu-ray on September 6. Also available on September 6 will be an Ultimate Collector’s Edition. The 1999 film directed by Brad Bird (The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, Tomorrowland) has been fully remastered and enhanced with two all-new scenes.
Winner of nine Annie Awards, The Iron Giant is the tale of an unlikely friendship between a rebellious boy named Hogarth (voiced by Eli Marienthal) and a giant robot, voiced by a then little-known actor named Vin Diesel. The voice cast also included Jennifer Aniston and Harry Connick Jr.
The film was produced by Allison Abbate and Des McAnuff from a screen story by Brad Bird and screenplay written by Tim McCanlies and Brad Bird. Adapted from poet Ted Hughes’ book, The Iron Man, The Iron Giant was first released in the summer of 1999 by Warner Bros.
“We're tremendously gratified by the ever-growing status of The Iron Giant, which was a labor of love for those of us who made it,” said director Brad Bird. “It seems like a perfect time to give the film’s large and expanding fan-base the deluxe Blu-ray they've long been asking for."
The Iron Giant: Signature Edition will be available to own on Blu-ray for $14.97 SRP and contains both the Signature Edition of the film and the original theatrical version in high definition. The disc will also include the new documentary, The Giant’s Dream, a definitive look at the making of The Iron Giant.
The Iron Giant: Signature Edition will also be available as an Ultimate Collector’s Edition for $74.99 SRP. The Ultimate Collector’s Edition will include the Signature Edition and the original theatrical version in both high definition and standard definition, The Giant’s Dream documentary, a hardcover art book on The Iron Giant, collectible Mondo art cards, a 4-inch plastic articulated Iron Giant statue, and a letter from director Brad Bird. Fans can also own The Iron Giant: Signature Edition via purchase from digital retailers.
BLU-RAY and ULTIMATE COLLECTORS EDITION ELEMENTS
The Iron Giant: Signature Edition Blu-ray disc contains the following special features:
- The Giant’s Dream documentary -- the dramatic story about a rare moment in movie history that allowed a first-time director to make one of the world’s greatest animated films, The Iron Giant. Using stylized animatics, archival footage, original concept art, and revealing interviews, The Giant’s Dream charts the incredible ups and downs, industry firsts, and amazing history behind this film, and its director, Brad Bird.
- A personal letter from director Brad Bird
- The Iron Giant: Signature Edition trailer
- Theatrical version commentary by Brad Bird
- Additional scenes, including alternate opening
- Mini documentary segments
- Teddy Newton The X Factor
- Duck and Cover sequence
- The Voice of the Giant
- Motion Gallery
- Brad Bird trailer
Source: Warner Bros. Home Entertainment