Epic Games teams up with Toei Animation for the first-ever anime franchise integration transporting characters Goku, Vegeta, Bulma, and Beerus to the world of the famed online video game.
Toei Animation and Epic Games have partnered to power up Fortnite with Dragon Ball and bring the iconic anime characters Goku, Vegeta, Bulma, and Beerus to the world of Fortnite. The whole Dragon Ball-themed collaboration starts now and includes new gameplay items, Quests, and Dragon Ball Islands.
"We’re thrilled to partner with Epic Games and bring this first-ever Toei Animation franchise integration to Fortnite," said Lisa Yamatoya, director of global marketing for Toei Animation Inc. "Over the last 36 years, the Dragon Ball franchise has built perhaps the largest global fanbase of any anime. And this multi-generational mainstream audience makes Dragon Ball ideally suited for a collaboration with Fortnite and its worldwide community of players. We’re excited to see the response to Dragon Ball’s arrival in Fortnite.”
The Fortnite and Dragon Ball collaboration includes:
- Dragon Ball Item Shop: Fortnite’s Item Shop allows players to suit up as fan-favorite characters Goku, Vegeta, Bulma, and Beerus. It also offers a Dragon Ball collection of Back Blings, Pickaxes, Gliders, and Emotes.
- Power Unleashed Quests: A new “Dragon Ball: Power Unleashed!” tab is now inside Fortnite, full of limited-time Quests and rewards.
- Battle With Versus Boards: In the Dragon Ball collaboration, Versus Boards pit players against one another to fight to be the Island's strongest. Both players must opt into a battle by interacting with a Board on the Island. After rivals are chosen, players are revealed on each other’s map and have five minutes to defeat their opponent.
- Go Beyond in Battle Royale: Players can wield the powers of Goku with new gameplay items in Fortnite. The Kamehameha lets anyone who wields it launch a devastating energy beam at foes, while the Nimbus Cloud (Kintoun) will let players take flight around the Island.
- Dragon Ball Super Episode Festival: From August 16 to September 17, players can board a cruise ship inside Fortnite and watch select Dragon Ball Super episodes with their friends – available on Fortnite’s “Discover” page.
- Tournament of Power: A Battle Royale Duos tournament takes place in Fortnite for all regions starting August 18 (Fortnite’s “Compete” tab will have regional event timing). Also featured is an additional Kamehameha Leaderboard for eliminating players with the powerful Kamehameha. Players who earn three Kamehameha elimination points get the Beerus Eating Emoticon.
- Dragon Ball Adventure Island: Explore iconic locations from Dragon Ball on the Dragon Ball Adventure Island beginning August 19. Soar through a ring course on a Nimbus Cloud (Kintoun) at Kami’s Palace, prepare food at Goku's House and traverse an obstacle course at the Room of Spirit & Time. Fans can also test their power in an open player-vs-player battle arena “Tenkaichi Budokai.” The Dragon Ball Adventure Island experience is available through Fortnite’s “Discover” page.
“Fortnite and celebrating fandom go hand in hand, and Dragon Ball is truly beloved all over the world,” said Claire Ripsteen, Fortnite Partnerships for Epic Games. “We're excited to be partnering with Toei Animation to offer Fortnite and Dragon Ball fans alike a unique chance to experience their favorite anime in a way that only Fortnite can offer – whether it be exploring the Dragon Ball Adventure Island, watching Dragon Ball Super episodes with friends, or wielding the powers of Goku through new gameplay items."
A rundown of the Fortnite and Dragon Ball collaboration is available here.
Source: Toei Animation Inc.