It’s official… George R.R. Martin’s long-awaited ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel series has taken flight, ready to incinerate hapless armies, helpless civilians, and eager TV screens in 2022.
As we’ve previously shared, House of the Dragon has taken flight! The long-awaited prequel series about the fiery exploits of the oft-mad House Targaryen has begun production as scheduled. And just this morning, HBO has released the show’s first official images.
Based on George R. R. Martin’s 2018 book “Fire & Blood,” the series will focus on the rise and fall of House Targaryen, 300 years before the events of Game of Thrones. And while many GoT spinoffs have been announced or already died in action, House of the Dragon will fly into living rooms, breathing fire and political betrayals, in 2022 on HBO and HBO Max.
The shows cast includes:
- Emma D’Arcy as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen: The king’s first-born child, she is of pure Valyrian blood, and she is a dragonrider. Many would say that Rhaenyra was born with everything… but she was not born a man.
- Matt Smith as Prince Daemon Targaryen: The younger brother to King Viserys and heir to the throne. A peerless warrior and a dragonrider, Daemon possesses the true blood of the dragon. But it is said that whenever a Targaryen is born, the gods toss a coin in the air…
- Steve Toussaint as Lord Corlys Velaryon ("The Sea Snake"): Lord of House Velaryon, a Valyrian bloodline as old as House Targaryen. As “The Sea Snake,” the most famed nautical adventurer in the history of Westeros, Lord Corlys built his house into a powerful seat that is even richer than the Lannisters and that claims the largest navy in the world.
- Olivia Cooke as Alicent Hightower: The daughter of Otto Hightower, the Hand of the King, and the most comely woman in the Seven Kingdoms. She was raised in the Red Keep, close to the king and his innermost circle; she possesses both a courtly grace and a keen political acumen.
- Rhys Ifans as Otto Hightower: The Hand of the King, Ser Otto loyally and faithfully serves both his king and his realm. As the Hand sees it, the greatest threat to the realm is the king's brother, Daemon, and his position as heir to the throne.
House of the Dragon is co-created and executive produced by George R.R. Martin and Ryan Condal, who is also the co-showrunner. Miguel Sapochnik serves as the co-showrunner / director of pilot and additional episodes / executive producer. Vince Gerardis, Ron Schmidt, and Sara Hess serve as executive producers. Hess is also one of the show’s writers. Directors include Clare Kilner, Geeta V. Patel, and Greg Yaitanes, who also co-executive produces.
Dan Sarto is Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Animation World Network.