Based on George R.R. Martin’s ‘Fire & Blood,’ the highly anticipated prequel set 200 years before the events of ‘Game of Thrones’ tells the story of the Targaryen’s rise to power; the 10-episode series debuts next month on HBO and HBO Max… FINALLY!
HBO has just released the official trailer for its highly anticipated new HBO Original drama House of The Dragon, based on George R.R. Martin’s “Fire & Blood,” set 200 years before the events of Game of Thrones. The story of the House of Targaryen is told in the new 10-episode series debuting Sunday, August 21, on HBO and streaming on HBO Max.
The show stars:
- Paddy Considine: King Viserys Targaryen, chosen by the lords of Westeros to succeed the Old King, Jaehaerys Targaryen, at the Great Council at Harrenhal.
- Matt Smith: Prince Daemon Targaryen is the younger brother to King Viserys and heir to the throne.
- Olivia Cooke: Alicent Hightower, the daughter of Otto Hightower, the Hand of the King, and the comeliest woman in the Seven Kingdoms.
- Emma D’Arcy: Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, the king’s first-born child, is of pure Valyrian blood, and she is a dragonrider.
- Steve Toussaint: Lord Corlys Velaryon, “The Sea Snake,” Lord of House Velaryon, a Valyrian bloodline as old as House Targaryen.
- Eve Best: Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, a dragonrider and wife to Lord Corlys Velaryon, "The Queen Who Never Was," passed over as heir to the throne at the Great Council because the realm favored her cousin, Viserys, simply for being male.
- Fabien Frankel: Ser Criston Cole, of Dornish descent, the common-born son of the steward to the Lord of Blackhaven.
- Sonoya Mizuno: Mysaria came to Westeros with nothing, and she was sold more times than she can recall.
- Rhys Ifans: Otto Hightower, The Hand of the King, Ser Otto loyally and faithfully serves both his king and his realm.
Watch the trailer – “All the dragons roar as one:”
Additional cast includes Milly Alcock; Bethany Antonia; Phoebe Campbell; Emily Carey; Harry Collett; Ryan Corr; Tom Glynn-Carney; Jefferson Hall; David Horovitch; Wil Johnson; John Macmillan; Graham McTavish; Ewan Mitchell; Theo Nate; Matthew Needham; Bill Paterson; Phia Saban; Gavin Spokes; and Savannah Steyn.
The series' visual effects are produced by MPC Episodic, Outpost VFX, and Pixomondo.
George R.R. Martin and Ryan Condal are co-creators and executive producers; Condal also serves as co-showrunner with writer, executive producer, and Miguel Sapochnik. Sara Hess, Jocelyn Diaz, Vince Gerardis, and Ron Schmidt are executive producers. House of The Dragon is based on George R.R. Martin’s “Fire & Blood.”