NVIDIA’s Media and Entertainment GM, Richard Kerris, introduced a number of new releases, coming updates, and future plans for the growing ecosystem surrounding the company’s powerful new interactive, real-time 3D design collaboration platform.
Richard Kerris, NVIDIA’s industry general manager for media and entertainment, has just shared a blog post highlighting a slew of new Omniverse updates and coming releases of particular importance to the animation, gaming, and VFX industries. Over 150,000 users having already downloaded Omniverse; new ways to integrate the system with leading industry tools like Maya, Substance 3D, and Unreal Engine are enabling millions of designers across the globe to take advantage of this powerful new cloud-based platform.
GTC announcements on new releases and updates for Omniverse include the latest Omniverse Connectors and libraries - expanding the platform’s ecosystem by 10x, and making Omniverse even more accessible to creators, developers, designers, engineers and researchers worldwide.
Additionally, Kerris noted a number of big NVIDIA Omniverse Enterprise customers including Amazon, DB Netze, Kroger, Lowe’s, PepsiCo, and leading animation and VFX house DNEG, all using the platform to build physically accurate digital twins or develop realistic immersive experiences for customers.
Enhancing Content Creation With New Connections and Libraries
Kerris outlined how in just the last year, the Omniverse ecosystem has expanded the platform’s design and content creation capabilities by establishing 82 connections across the largest, most important industry software tool providers, a 10x connections increase.
This directly impacts the M&E space with the following expansion elements:
- New Third-Party Connections for Adobe Substance 3D Material Extension and Painter Connector, Epic Games Unreal Engine Connector and Maxon Cinema 4D will enable live-sync workflows between third-party apps and Omniverse.
- New CAD Importers: These convert 26 common CAD formats to Universal Scene Description (USD) to better enable manufacturing and product design workflows within Omniverse.
- New Asset Library Integrations: TurboSquid by Shutterstock, Sketchfab and Reallusion ActorCore assets are now directly available within Omniverse Apps asset browsers so users can simply search, drag and drop from close to 1 million Omniverse-ready 3D assets. New Omniverse-ready 3D assets, materials, textures, avatars and animations are also now available from A23D.
- New Hydra Render Delegate Support: Users can integrate and toggle between their favorite Hydra delegate-supported renderers and the Omniverse RTX Renderer directly within Omniverse Apps. Now available in beta for Chaos V-Ray, Maxon Redshift and OTOY Octane, with Blender Cycles, Autodesk Arnold coming soon.
Omniverse Enterprise Features and Availability Broadens
Kerris also described new updates coming soon to Omniverse Enterprise, including the latest releases of Omniverse Kit 103, Omniverse Create and View 2022.1, Omniverse Farm, and DeepSearch.
Omniverse Enterprise on NVIDIA LaunchPad is now available across nine global regions. NVIDIA LaunchPad gives design practitioners and project reviewers instant, free turnkey access to hands-on Omniverse Enterprise labs, helping them make quicker, more confident software and infrastructure decisions.
Here are two new videos showcasing NVIDIA Omniverse technology – as is always the case, a picture is worth a thousand words!
Raising the Bar on Industrial Digital Twins
At GTC, NVIDIA announced NVIDIA OVX, a computing system architecture designed to power large-scale digital twins. NVIDIA OVX is built to operate complex simulations that will run within Omniverse, enabling designers, engineers and planners to create physically accurate digital twins and massive, true- to-reality simulation environments.
Latest Omniverse Technologies and Features
Kerris also outlined major new releases and capabilities announced for Omniverse including the following:
- New Developer Tools: Omniverse Code, an app that serves as an integrated development environment for developers and powers users to easily build their own Omniverse extensions, apps or microservices.
- DeepSearch: a new AI-based search service that lets users quickly search through massive, untagged 3D asset libraries using natural language or images. DeepSearch is available for Omniverse Enterprise customers in early access.
- Omniverse Replicator: a framework for generating physically accurate 3D synthetic data to accelerate training and accuracy of perception networks — now available within Omniverse Code so developers can build their own domain-specific synthetic data engines.
- OmniGraph, ActionGraph and AnimGraph: major new releases controlling behavior and animation.
- Omniverse Avatar: a platform that uses AI and simulation technology to enable developers to build custom, intelligent, realistic avatars.
- Omniverse XR app: a VR-optimized configuration of Omniverse View that enables users to experience their full-fidelity 3D scenes with full RTX ray tracing, at 1:1 scale, coming soon.
- New versions of Omniverse Kit, Create, View and Machinima.
Read more from Kerris about the full release of new platform features.
To learn more about NVIDIA Omniverse, watch Jensen Huang’s. You can still register for GTC 2022 for free to attend sessions.
Dan Sarto is Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Animation World Network.