The practical guide teaches the fundamentals of video game animation; new edition covers 2D and pixel art animation as well the latest in mocap and motion matching.
The 2nd Edition of the bestselling game development book, “Game Anim: Video Game Animation Explained,” by award-winning video game animator Jonathan Cooper, is now available. The book teaches the technical and artistic fundamentals of video game animation, providing practical advice and industry insights.
Covering every stage of game production from the animator’s perspective, it is packed with the lessons learned from working on a variety of game types in both in-game and cinematic roles in animator, lead, and director positions. These have been successful across multiple studios regardless of team, size, and culture.
Key features include:
- 20 Years of Insight: Accumulated knowledge from 2 decades of experience in all areas of game animation.
- The 5 Fundamentals: Reinterprets the classic 12 animation principles and sets out 5 new fundamentals for great game animation.
- Animator Interviews: Notable game animators offer behind-the-scenes stories, tips, and advice.
- Free Animation Rig: Free "AZRI" maya rig, tutorials, and other resources here.
The 2nd edition includes a new chapter on 2D and pixel art animation, an enhanced mocap chapter covering the latest developments in motion matching, and even more interviews with top professionals in the field:
- GRIS – Adrián Miguel – animation lead
- Assassin’s Creed – Alex Drouin – animation director
- Streets of Rage 4 –Ben Fiquet - art director & animator
- God of War – Bruno Velasquez - animation director,
- Another World – Eric Chahi - creator
- Detroit: Become Human – Marie Celaya - facial supervisor
- Indivisible –Mariel Cartwright - creative director & lead animator
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare – Mark Grigsby - animation director
- The Last Guardian – Masanobu Tanaka - animation director
- Metal Gear Solid – Yoshitaka Shimizu - NPC lead animator
With the AZRI character free to download and animate, Game Anim provides guidance to those looking to break into the industry and successful animators wishing to take the next step in their career.
Cooper is an award-winning video game animator who has been bringing virtual characters to life professionally since 2000. He has led teams on projects such as the Assassin’s Creed and Mass Effect series, with a focus on memorable stories and characters and cutting-edge video game animation.
He continues to create interactive cinematics in the latest chapters of the award-winning series Uncharted and The Last of Us.
The book can be ordered here.
Source: Game Anim