From ‘Archer’ creator Adam Reed and ‘Modern Family’ producer Megan Ganz, ‘Cassius and Clay’ stars Kaitlin Olson and Lake Bell as female bandits in a futuristic, post-apocalyptic American South.
LOS ANGELES -- FXX has picked up Cassius and Clay, an animated action-buddy comedy starring Kaitlin Olson as “Cassius” and Lake Bell as “Clay,” bandits looking to survive in a futuristic, post-apocalyptic American South, it was announced today by Nick Grad and Eric Schrier, Presidents of Original Programming, FX Networks and FX Productions. 10 episodes have been ordered for the first season, due to air on FXX in 2016.
After six memorable seasons on FX, the hit animated comedy Archer will move to FXX for its seventh season and be paired with Cassius and Clay in 2016. With the addition, FXX’s slate of comedy series will include Archer, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, You’re the Worst, Man Seeking Woman, Animation Domination, and Cassius and Clay.
Adam Reed (Archer) will write and Executive Produce Cassius and Clay along with Megan Ganz (Modern Family, Community). Reed’s Floyd County Productions (Archer, Chozen) and Matt Thompson (Archer) will also serve as Executive Producers. Cassius and Clay will be produced by FX Productions.
“Tearing through the Smoky Mountains, Cassius and Clay don’t just survive the end of the world -- they thrive on it with a pack of misfits who persevere against all odds in this Southern-fried apocalypse,” said Grad. “Our thanks to Adam and Megan for creating this hilarious and twisted tale and to Kaitlin, Lake, Susan and the rest of the voice cast for bringing these characters to life in all their damaged glory.”
Susan Sarandon (Thelma & Louise, Dead Man Walking) joins Olson (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Heat) and Bell (In a World…, What Happens in Vegas) as series regulars, with contributions from JB Smoove (Date Night, The Sitter), Kevin Michael Richardson (The Cleveland Show, Lilo & Stitch), Jeffrey Tambor (Transparent, Arrested Development), Stephen Root (King of the Hill, No Country for Old Men), Katy Mixon (Minions, Mike & Molly) and Robert Patrick (Scorpion, Terminator 2: Judgment Day).
Cast credits are as follows:
- Kaitlin Olson will play CASSIUS CORDWOOD, a hard-drinking, quick-thinking, fast-talking bull-shitter who has more debts than sense.
- Lake Bell will play SHOPCARTER CLAY, the fastest gun in the post-apocalyptic South -- she doesn't go looking for trouble, she shares a station wagon with it.
- Susan Sarandon will play CONNIE MACK, the ruthless and cutthroat owner of Wilke's only saloon and brothel. Mack runs the booze, the girls, the whole goddamn town, really.
- JB Smoove will play DOC BENZ, the town's only doctor, locked in a dysfunctional, co-dependent relationship with Smiffy (who carts the Doc's ornery, legless ass around).
- Kevin Michael Richardson will play SMIFFY, the enormous blacksmith, a gentle giant who can fix anything so long as Doc says it's okay.
- Jeffrey Tambor will play MAYOR WAITSTILL WEEKS, the utterly powerless and disregarded mayor of Wilke, who's barely in charge of his own newspaper, which only he reads.
- Katy Mixon will play JACK RUBY, head-whore of The Snug, Connie Mack’s number two and the Mayor’s number one.
- Robert Patrick will play REEVER GRINT, the terrifying tax-collector from Richway, the crookedest of all the crooked sheriffs.
- Stephen Root will play ODUM, the ever-scheming deputy who’s always under Grint’s bootheel, which is really the best place for such a greasy lickspittle.