Free event will bring the anime community together for a virtual celebration featuring panels, cosplay, and special streamed performance from the 2019 SACRA Music Festival.
CULVER CITY, CA -- FunimationCon 2020 has announced a first look at the panels, speakers, and events for its first-ever free virtual CON on July 3-4. The event is a chance for the anime community to get together for a virtual celebration, bringing a bit of the con online this Summer. Highly anticipated panels include Fruits Basket, One Piece, and Fire Force, featuring English voice actors from each series for lively discussions and Q&A.
The event, in cooperation with Sony Music Labels Inc., has unveiled music guests and programs for the two-day event. Popular Japanese artists BLUE ENCOUNT, FLOW, KANA-BOON, and Luna Haruna, will deliver a special message, concert footage and music videos. There will also be a DJ set by DJ MarGenal. FunimationCon 2020 and SACRA MUSIC are presenting a special streamed performance from the 2019 SACRA MUSIC Festival. Additional panels, hosted cosplay programming and meet-ups, previews, and more will be announced in the coming weeks.
FunimationCon 2020 is expanding availability of the event to include more territories. It is now available in the U.S., Canada, U.K., Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand. Registration is now open. To secure your spot and receive updates on new events added to the line-up click here.
Voice Actor Panels:
- Fruits Basket - Celebrate the hit shoujo classic's new second season with the English voice cast of Fruits Basket. Join Eric Vale (Yuki), Jerry Jewell (Kyo), Mikaela Krantz (Momiji), and Colleen Clinkenbeard (Akito), as well as Season 2’s new character cast Aaron Dismuke (Kakeru) and Caitlin Glass (Machi, ADR Director) for a Q&A, a live reading, and an advice corner courtesy of the Student Council! The panel is hosted by Caitlin Glass.
- One Piece - The panel brings together the voice actors behind fan favorite characters in celebration the series and the return of dubbed episodes, including Colleen Clinkenbeard (Luffy), Brina Palencia (Tony Chopper), Mike McFarland (Buggy the Clown) and more. Funimation’s Josellie Rios (host of the One Piece at a Time podcast) is moderating the panel.
- Fire Force - The panel features voice actors Derick Snow (Shinra), Justin Briner (Sho), Eric Vale (Arthur), Christopher Wehcamp (Hinawa), and is moderated by Matt Acevedo.
- BLUE ENCOUNT is a four-piece band from Kumamoto, Japan. Known for their heartfelt and energetic style, they have built a reputation for connecting emotionally with their audience. The band made their major debut with the EP TIMELESS ROOKIE (2014), and have released three full-length albums (≒, THE END, and VECTOR), as well as numerous anime theme songs including “Polaris” for My Hero Academia (2019), “FREEDOM” for BANANA FISH, “VS” for Gintama (2017), “Survivor” for Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans (2016), and “DayXDay” for Gintama (2015).
- FLOW is a band comprised of KOHSHI (Vo), KEIGO (Vo), TAKE (Gt), GOT’S (Ba), and IWASAKI (Dr). Brothers KOHSHI (older brother, Vo) and TAKE (younger brother, G) started playing music in 1993 and formed FLOW in 1998. In 1999, they added KEIGO (Vo), and GOT’S (Ba), and in 2000, they added IWASAKI (Dr), forming their present lineup. In 2003, they had their major debut with the single “Blaster.” They have done many anime songs such as “GO!!!” as an opening song for the anime NARUTO, “COLORS,” an opening song for Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, and the opening song for Tales of Zesteria the X, “Kaze no Uta.” From 2006 they began performing overseas and have now performed 57 times in 19 countries including countries in Asia, North America, South America, and Europe. Since September of 2019, the opening song for NARUTO Shippuden, “Sign,” has exceeded 30 million plays on Spotify with all of their songs collectively exceeding 100 million plays.
- KANA-BOON, is a three-piece rock band with Taniguchi (Vo./Gt.), Hayato Koga (Gt.), and Takahiro Koizumi (Dr.). They are known their anime theme songs including “Silhouette” the opening performance of anime NARUTO SHIPPUDEN, “Baton Road” the opening theme of BORUTO: NARUTO NEXT GENERATIONS, and “Fighter” the opening theme of Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. Their latest song “Starmarker” was chosen as the opening theme of My Hero Academia and has attracted anime fans from all over the world.
- Luna Haruna debuted in May 2012 with the song “Sora wa takakau kaze wa utau,” the ED song for Season 2 of the TV anime Fate/Zero. She has done theme songs for various anime series such as the SWORD ART ONLINE, Monogatari series, and Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend. She also designs and produces a wedding dress brand called “LUNAMARIA” and is working as a Lolita model. On 10/23/2019, she released the complete EP “glory days” for Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend. She also sang the theme song for Saekano the Movie: Finale that was released on 10/26/2019. On 3/18/2020, she released the single “PEACE!!!” which was the ending theme for the TV anime Puzzle & Dragons.
- DJ MarGenal started out in 2007, inspired by hip-hop, he became immersed in club culture. After appearing in Anisong Index, which sparked the anisong DJ boom, he shifted his focus to becoming an anisong DJ. In addition to his regular events, he has appeared at events held all around Japan. He has attended large-scale anime events such as “LisAni! Night” and “LisAni! PARK,” an anime music club event organized by LisAni!, “@JAM” an anisong idol event, and “Singapore Toy, Game & Comic Convention” held in Singapore. He was a DJ instructor for voice actor Eriko Nakamura and was Prizmmy ☆ 's supporting DJ during the 2016 Nendoroid 10th Anniversary Live. He was also the supporting DJ during “LisAni! Night Vol.6'' for anisong singer ELISA. In connection with the 2014 Trinity Seven x Anilab collaboration event, he was the support DJ for the anisong singer ZAQ during “Anime Zia'' and “AJ Night”. In commemoration of the first anniversary of Sony Music Labels SACRA MUSIC imprint, he oversaw the label's first MIX CD MiX ~ Omoshiroi Hodo Yoku Wakaru Nonstop SACRA MUSIC ~.
Source: -- FunimationCon 2020
Dan Sarto is Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Animation World Network.