Renown animation, VFX, virtual production, and games conference reveals massive program of free events featuring master filmmakers and top industry professionals, including Sir Roger Deakins and the Badass Women Production Designers; event runs in person and online October 17-22 in Torino, Italy.
VIEW Conference 2021 has announced an expansive free program of events featuring master filmmakers and leaders in animation, VFX, virtual production and games. The conference and accompanying VIEWFest film festival take place from October 17 to 22, in the city of Torino, Italy, with online access opening up the entire week of events to a global audience of industry professionals, students and enthusiasts. With a grand total of 252 speakers and 161 talks, panels, workshops, masterclasses and inspiring keynote speeches, this year’s conference is bigger and more inclusive than ever.
For the second year running, VIEW Conference is completely FREE to attend. A simple registration process unlocks access to all sessions and is available via the official website. With four strands running simultaneously through the week of the conference, many attendees will be eager to catch up with all the sessions they miss. Premium on-demand tickets are available to purchase, giving online access to session recordings for timescales ranging from one to three months.
Free registration is available here, where you will also find more information about the premium on-demand ticket sales.
This year’s special guests include:
- Sir Roger Deakins, Oscar-Winning cinematographer, and recipient of the VIEW Visionary Award 2021
- Keynote speakers Tom McGrath (Madagascar, The Boss Baby: Family Business), Jorge Gutierrez (The Book of Life, Maya and the Three), Tomm Moore (The Secret of Kells, Wolfwalkers).
Representation and diversity - This year speakers:
- Marge Dean and Jinko Gotoh, president and vice-president of the support and advocacy group Women in Animation.
- Badass Women Production Designers panel - featuring Daniela Strijleva (Luca), Lindsey Olivares (The Mitchells vs. The Machines), Kendal Cronkhite (Trolls World Tour), Celine Desrumaux (The Witch Boy) and Shannon Jeffries (Under the Boardwalk).
- Badass Asian-American Directors - a panel of fiery filmmakers including Ronnie Del Carmen, Elizabeth Ito, Emily Dean and Stephanie Stine, moderated by Maureen Fan, CEO and co-founder of Baobab Studios.
- Additional panels explore the role of women in production and the challenges of educating the next generation of women artists.
Acclaimed filmmakers and their creative teams will participate in talks and panels – films under discussion include:
- Raya and the Last Dragon
- The Boss Baby: Family Business
- The Mitchells vs. The Machines
- Space Jam 2
- The Addams Family 2
- Netflix animated feature The Summit of the Gods
- DreamWorks Animation’s Spirit Untamed
- Filmmakers Peter Ramsey (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, We the People) and Shannon Tindle (Kubo and the Two Strings) lead a special panel “The Art of Animation: A Director's Perspective.”
Alongside its focus on feature films, VIEW Conference delves into the latest episodic series:
- Love, Death + Robots’ creator Tim Miller and supervising director Jennifer Yuh Nelson joining their colleagues for a panel on the acclaimed sci-fi anthology series from Netflix.
- The new animated superhero series What If…?’s creative team from Marvel Studios discusses the new show.
- Look for presentations revealing the visual effects secrets of the Emmy Award-winning The Mandalorian and Marvel Studios’ WandaVision.
VIEW Conference presents a pair of panels with the shared title “The Future of VFX”
Panels will feature leading VFX supervisors including:
- Roger Guyett
- Paul Franklin
- Rob Legato
- Sheena Duggal
- Christopher Townsend.
- Industrial Light & Magic’s chief creative officer Rob Bredow gives a presentation on the company’s innovative StageCraft technology
Look for more talks on recent blockbusters including:
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
- Disney’s Jungle Cruise
- Christopher Nolan’s cerebral thriller Tenet
- Weta Digital visual effects supervisor Guy Williams talks about The Suicide Squad.
- Classic films Dragonheart and Independence Day.
Short films are firmly in the spotlight at VIEW Conference 2021:
- Robin Robin – Aardman’s co-founder Peter Lord join the directors and producer of the studios upcoming stop-motion film.
- Look for the presentation of Carlos Fernandez Puertolas’ independent short film Frank & Emmet, about the lifelong friendship between two show-business partners, one of whom is a puppet.
- Erick Oh’s visionary animated short, Namoo.
- Apple TV+ and Skydance Animation’s Blush, directed by Joe Mateo
- Dimension and DNEG’s Fireworks and DNEG Animation’s Mr. Spam Gets a New Hat
The new world of virtual production and real-time rendering comes under further scrutiny in a mind-expanding range of sessions. Leading innovators discussing the cutting-edge technology include:
- Epic Games - Marc Petit, general manager of Unreal Engine
- Executive producer Karen Dufilho, deliver talks and demonstrations of their company’s latest offerings and development.
- NVIDIA - Richard Kerris
- Adobe - Sébastien Deguy
- Unity - Habib Zargarpour
- Paul Debevec, director of research at Netflix, discusses “Lighting for Virtual Production”
VIEW will present a panel bringing together the chief technology officers of three industry powerhouses:
- Nick Cannon of Walt Disney Animation Studios
- Steve May of Pixar
- Mike Ford of Sony Pictures Imageworks
Real-time technologies feature heavily in VIEW Conference’s sessions on the games industry, which include more from Epic Games and Unity, plus workshops on design, storytelling, and pitches. A special talk on the award-winning videogame Medal of Honor features Respawn Entertainment Peter Hirschmann, composer Michael Giacchino and his brother, filmmaker Anthony Giacchino. Meanwhile, as virtual humans become ever more convincing, Colin Urquhart and Douglas Green, co-founders of facial animation pioneers DI4D, share their expertise in 4D Facial Capture for Next-Generation Digital Doubles.
This year, a number of visiting film directors will participate in VIEW Conference’s legendary program of workshops and masterclasses. The conference brings masters and students together, giving attendees the unique opportunity to participate in a life-drawing workshop with directors Tomm Moore and Kris Pearn (The Willoughbys), and a storytelling workshops with Mike Rianda, director of The Mitchells vs. the Machines.
Other workshops cover a wealth of creative disciplines, including worldbuilding and art direction:
- “Collaging Life (seats limited)” - A 6-hour hands-on session with Luca character art director Deanna Marsigliese
- Portfolio reviews by Academy Award-nominated filmmaker Mark Osborne provide students with invaluable feedback on their work.
VIEW Conference will present a large selection of workshops and masterclasses designed to expand knowledge and advance skills in software including:
- Foundry’s Nuke, Katana and Mari
- Adobe products
- Open source Blender
- a SideFX Houdini HIVE suite of presentations focused on the latest techniques and developments in the award-winning software, plus a special Houdini event currently cloaked in secrecy.
Embrace the future with Pioneers in the VFX and Computer Graphics Industry:
- A forward-thinking panel about the next big thing: the Metaverse – The conversation brings together a group of computer graphics all-stars including Alvy Ray Smith, Mark Sylvester, Jeff Kleiser, Carl Rosenthal, Don Greenberg, and Richard Kerris.
“The VIEW Conference program for 2021 goes beyond my wildest dreams,” shared conference director Dr. Maria Elena Gutierrez. “I am so excited about the breadth, depth and quality of content we have available this year, and so grateful to all the masters of their craft who are joining us for this week of inspiration, education and celebration. VIEW Conference has a big heart, and I know that the enthusiasm and commitment of everyone involved will make VIEW Conference 2021 the most memorable yet.”
Visit the VIEW Conference website for the complete program of events.
Source: VIEW Conference 2021