Conference confirms presentations that include a behind-the-scenes look at Netflix’s anthology ‘The House,’ the blending of 2D and 3D in Marvel’s ‘What If...?’ and the future of NFTs; the event runs onsite May 3-5, online May 6 and on demand through May 31.
FMX 2022 has released its latest set of new program highlights for the upcoming conference, running onsite May 3-5 and online May 6. Check out the full program on the FMX website.
Here are a few highlights of new confirmations announced for onsite and online programs:
Behind the Scenes of The House (onsite) - An eccentric dark comedy about a house and the three surreal tales of the individuals who made it their home.
- Join directors Paloma Baeza, Marc James Roels and Niki Lindroth von Bahr as well as production manager Joost Zoetebier as they share a behind the scenes look at the stop motion anthology produced by Nexus Studios.
What If...? - Blending 2D & 3D animation (onsite)
- VFX supervisors Anders Thönell and Greg O'Connor present techniques used to integrate 2D and 3D animation in the making of Marvel's What If..?. taking participants through some shots to explore solutions and methods used to address complex cameras, line work, and environments. They will provide an in depth look at collaborating on this innovative series.
NFTs - We hear the term Metaverse, Web3 and NFTs everywhere and every day, but how exactly do new tech trends impact and evolve the creative industries and their audience? The first-of-a-kind NFTs track will focus on demystifying this with various project case studies from creators who are pushing this revolution to decentralize and retain the creative autonomy with their content for Web3.
NFTs - the future of entertainment ownership (online)
- This presentation by Rouslan Ovtcharoff, Founder of Blockchain Global Entertainment Alliance, will explain what NFTs are and demonstrate unique ways of applying NFTs and blockchain technology for the next evolution of creator and audience-owned entertainment platforms.
Eternals: AR Story Experience (online)
- Marvel Studios looks to the future with a first-of-its-kind Augmented Reality (AR) story experience for the release of Eternals. Step into the film to discover the backstory, interact with Super Heroes, and bring the story right in their space. The latest technologies were used to deliver state-of-the-art storytelling — including a new volumetric capture process done entirely digital, using cinema-quality VFX assets.
- Hear from Dane Coffey, Technology Innovation Research Lead at Disney Studios Technology, and Daniel Baker, Senior Producer and Manager, what it took to create these lifelike characters for the immersive iOS-exclusive mobile app.
Dream: Making Virtual Story Worlds (online)
- Director Robin McNicholas and artist Joaquina Salgado discuss new ways of bringing virtual story worlds to life using contemporary virtual production techniques. From character design through to virtual forest creation, two key contributors to the project Dream discuss the opportunities and challenges faced with creating artistic work with games engines. McNicholas (UK based) & Salgado (Argentina) discuss global collaboration and what the future holds for storytelling and live virtual production.
EXPO 2020 DUBAI: Making the Metaverse a Reality (onsite)
- Cross-reality spaces are the foundations for the new immersive web or Metaverse. In this session, Sol Rogers (Magnopus/Rewind) will explore why cross-reality spaces are important, how they are designed, and who should be using them. In addition, an in-depth case study for EXPO 2020 DUBAI will show how people and places can be united across the physical and digital divide through innovative technologies and inspiring content.
GAMES & BEYOND
The Metaverse: Bridging Music and Immersive Experiences Through Realtime and Gaming (Online)
- Ristband is a metaverse platform created to help artists, musicians, filmmakers, and gamers play shows, screen films, attend exhibitions and socialize in a mass multiplayer cross-platform experience. Anne McKinnon and Roman Rappak (both Ristband) will discuss the current state of the metaverse from the perspective of creators, the challenges the team has faced in the year of R&D/development of their platform, as well as the opportunities available for artists in a decentralized, Web3 ecosystem.
"Blockchain gaming" and what "true digital asset ownership" means (On Site)
- Chris Ebeling, co-founder and creative director of Virtually Human, will break down the ideation, creation and thinking behind VHS's approach when it comes to web 3.0 entertainment, all fueled by the power of blockchain and true digital asset ownership, via Non-Fungible Tokens (NFT's). He will offer convincing views on the future of the digital space, and the abundance of opportunities that are not only available today, but in the near future.
More FMX Forum Partners have confirmed their participation in FMX 2022:
- Escape Technology
- Blue Zoo
- Fish Blowing Bubbles
- Time Based Arts
- School of Visual Arts
- Hamm Lippstadt University of Applied Sciences
- LTU Luleå University of Technology
- Merz Akademie
- Salzburg University of Applied Sciences/MultiMediaArt
Check out FMX 2022 for the latest programming and FMX forum news.
Source: FMX 2022